Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What We've Been Up To Lately

We've had a very light week this week, which has been a nice change of pace. Although the light activity schedule leaves Ryan and Morgan with extra time to dream up ways to jump up and down on each other's (and my) last nerves. It's been a nice break, but I find myself actually looking forward to a regularly scheduled activity day tomorrow, if only so they'll leave each other alone for a bit!

Have I mentioned that Ryan started Tae Kwon Do last month? I've long thought that he'd really enjoy something like that, but he always balked whenever I suggested it. Well, hmph. I was SO right about this! Gloat gloat gloat! :o) I get to gloat here because it's really rude to do it in front of him (plus I don't want to give him any ideas of other annoying things to do to Morgan). He just LOVES Tae Kwon Do. (Gloat.) And he's really doing very well! Never having been involved in any martial arts myself, it's hard for me to judge his progress for myself, but then I saw him in class with other kids the other day. He was really holding his own. As long as he's interested, we'll stick with it.

We also started our American History class at History at our House last month. Another win! It was an adjustment for Ryan, at first, to listen to a lecture that didn't have video with it. He kept looking up at the wall for the picture! And just when I think he's not paying attention, Mr. Powell will reference one of the maps and Ryan will jump up and come to the computer and we'll pause the sound and talk it over. At length. He especially enjoyed the recent lecture on Leif Erikson.

By the way, Scott Powell has an article called "Why History?" in the latest issue of Secular Homeschooling Magazine, which is a fine publication, and I'm proud to have been a charter subscriber! Which reminds me that I sent the editor of SHM an article idea last year and then got busy having a baby and never wrote up the article. Hmmmm. I wonder if she's still interested--guess I ought to get on that.

Let's see, what else? Along more homeschooling lines, I have joined the Board of Directors of the statewide inclusive homeschool group, Home Education Information Resource (HEIR). Why would I have done that? Because I don't trust our legislators. Not one inch. And we must be ever-alert to any meddling with the home study laws, even if--no, especially if--they mean well.

I've been a member of HEIR's yahoo email loop for several years and have found the group as a whole to be really well-informed about the home study laws in Georgia and very committed to educating current and would-be homeschoolers. They are especially committed to keeping the state government at bay when well-intentioned legislators and even fellow homeschoolers bring up potential laws that may encroach on our rights. I love the motto: "Home study, freely practiced." In talking to and meeting some of the current Board members, it became clear that we're all on the same page when it comes to homeschooling in Georgia, and that they will be a good group to work with. I have recently been appointed a backup moderator to two of the yahoo email groups--and it's already been an interesting experience. If you are interested in homeschooling in Georgia, then I highly recommend the HEIR website as a great place to start your research.

Another homeschool-related thought--I'm trying to think of a name for our homeschool. It's not necessary from a legal standpoint. I know that in some states you must register as a private school and thus, a name sure comes in handy. But I just thought it would be kind of a fun thing to do. Also, when the kids get bigger and are doing more things out and about town, a student ID comes in handy, and we could use it for that. Anyway, I'm having trouble thinking of something I like. I'd really like something that ties into Objectivism, especially if it can be clever. I do like clever. (And don't bother suggesting "Ayn Rand School for Tots"--that's been done, of course.) Anyway, if you have a suggestion, leave it in the comments!

And now for something completely unrelated to homeschooling: we filed our taxes today. On one hand, I'm glad to have taken that extra six months to do it. On the other hand, it's something that has been at the back of my mind for that entire six months and I really hate that feeling. It weighs on my consciousness somehow. It feels good to be done with it, but when I consider how soon it will all start up again, sigh. The good news is that we zeroed out for the first time ever! The feds got $0 from us for 2007--and we didn't do any fancy tinkering either. Just worked out that way. So that's something!

That's all for now. Gonna go watch some BSG (we're cheating on the debate again tonight)!

4 comments:

suchlovelyfreckles said...

Wow, very cool! You totally rock.
I've been considering joining a board in our town, but I'm very hesitant about it... don't think I need yet another project on my plate. :)

Oh, my son hated Tae Kwon Do. He quite after a week. *sigh* Back to soccer....

Jennifer Snow said...

The first thing that popped into my head, name-wise, was "Rearden Education" :D

Amy Mossoff said...

Ahhhh, another Battlestar Galactica fan. We're watching the latest season on the web because we forgot to start Tivo'ing it. We buy the DVD's as they come out. Have you watched the Firefly TV series? It's even better than BSG.

Rational Jenn said...

Hi everyone, thanks!

Amy, yes, I LOVE Firefly and would have devoted years of my life to it, had it but survived. Alas. :o)