Saturday, November 01, 2008

Another Safe Halloween

Just wanted to say that we got through our 5th post-food allergy Halloween just fine. Ryan is currently enjoying some yummy snacks from Vermont Nut Free Chocolates. Our guests brought our other candy home with them and were very gracious about only eating what we served at the party.

We are so grateful that everyone--children, especially--is so helpful and understanding. It is a difficult thing, to ask a child to delay eating the candy that they worked so hard to collect, and don't think I don't know that it's not easy for them! Seemed like the party was fun enough to compensate for any conflicted feelings about the candy.

Still--it's a tough holiday for the food allergic kids. The whole point of it revolves around food, and nearly all of that food is poison for my kid. And I always get nervous when performing the candy switch. Sometimes I pick out safe things to keep, like Tootsie Roll Pops, but this year I just gave it all away in favor of our safe stuff. It's too nerve-wracking, sticking my hands in there, trying to make sure no wrappers have been accidentally opened. There's always a moment of doubt, that despite all of my efforts to control the candy issue, that something will fall through and hurt him.

Anyway, I hope you had a happy and safe Halloween, too! I'll have pictures up today or tomorrow--the costumes were really cute this year!

1 comment:

Shez said...

We too had a safe and successful Halloween. I have to check for gluten, dairy, soy and eggs.

I buy all the candy for a dollar to each child then we eat the safe candy I keep at home (not that my kids eat much candy at all. they each had two tiny pieces last night and then decided it was too sweet and had apples instead).

I too am always amazed by how easy the other children are about my kids' allergies. My kids are just stupendous. They are so comfortable with their limitations and are always happy to see others eating and enjoying.

Today I took them to ride trains as a treat for being so sensible yesterday.