Wednesday, December 10, 2008

May Your Days Be Merry And Bright

Isn't that a nice sentiment? Merry and bright days. Yes, that's just what I want for Christmas.

We've been listening to the Christmas song radio station in the car these days (when we aren't working each other up into tizzies about right or left turns, that is). And we heard Bing Crosby's classic on the way home from ballet this evening. I am SO in the mood to see this movie, I can't stand it.

I place the blame squarely upon LB's shoulders, who had the nerve to post the Snow song from the movie on her blog recently. And then followed it up with The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing, too. Sigh.

The reason I haven't seen it yet this year is because I don't have it on DVD, and got rid of the VHS tape a long time ago. I'm hoping to download it from iTunes tonight and watch it lots of times before Christmas. White Christmas was one of our family traditions growing up, one of the two movies we'd watch every Thanksgiving. I can still quote large chunks of dialogue at will; and I suspect my sister can as well (she wore the dress and I stayed home!). Who could forget the scene with Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney discussing liverwurst sandwiches?

I can't wait to show it to the kids--Morgan will love the singing and dancing and Ryan will love the Army guys. Something for everyone. Yay!

In other Christmas song matters, my poor daughter doesn't understand that the peopleguys at the radio station decide which songs come next. She keeps asking me, "Is Rudolph next?" and getting mad when I tell her that I don't really know, and then gets sad when some other song comes on instead of Rudolph. :o( No fair! She doesn't get how television programming works either.

Also, am I the only person in the world who, upon hearing the Carol of the Bells, gets a sudden urge to read Edgar Allan Poe's "The Bells?" I thought so.


Monica said...

Hm. I guess I'm going to have rent White Christmas. I think I watched it once as a child, perhaps, and didn't like it much. I should give it another try.

My favorite of all time is still A Child's Christmas in Wales! And frankly, I love Miracle on 34th St. as well. (Yes, I know the Santa thing, but I do really like both actresses in it!)

Anonymous said...

I don't read you every day, but when I do you're hysterical. You're starting to seem like an anonymous friend. Strange, huh. Anyway, I have a couple of books I think you might find as handy as I do. Hope you like them.

Setting Limits...

This book is helpful because it shows you how to focus on encouraging behavior based on actions rather than words. My son puts his shoes on when it's time to go now because I'm better at setting expectations.

Plus, the book describes the 'testing' that kids do as research. And I love having a couple of researchers in the family (when before I might have been annoyed at all the testing.)

And my daughter has really taken to figuring out her own choices to 'conflict' with guidance from Dad.

Lastly it has a somewhat helpful discussion of 'personality traits' associated with strong-will people. What was neat about this part was seeing how I share some of those traits with my daughter, for example. Those we shared bothered me less. Those we didn't were helpful to have pointed out.

Healthy Sleep...

This book is flat out awesome. It covers how to ensure your kids get enough sleep and has strategies for dealing with common problems. It stresses the importance of consolidated sleep during naps.

Anyway, you kill me. You're one of my favorite blogger peopleguys.

suchlovelyfreckles said...

LOL, my son does that too, when we listen to songs on the radio. "Can we listen to the kid who wants the hippopotamus for Christmas, Mom?" ;)

LB said...

You're so very welcome.

I'm going to have to watch A Child's Christmas in Wales. I know the poem, but I don't think I've ever seen the movie.

And, yeah, you might be the only one who relates the tintinnabulation of the bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells with Christmas. Or not.

Recently (and I'm sure it's temporary) Elf has replaced White Christmas as our Christmas movie du jour. It's okay. We're going to NYC tomorrow and hope to do some Elfish things.

Jason Dixon said...

Having a laugh and being introduced to a poem I didn't know -- I love your blog, Jenn!