Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Silliest. Argument. Ever.

Ryan and Morgan have been known to argue about some silly things, but last night's argument was just crazy. On the way to Ryan's Tae Kwon Do class, Ryan decided that he only liked right turns, and Morgan decided (naturally) that she only liked left turns.

Both eagerly and vocally! hoped that the next turn the car took would be their "favorite" turn. As you might imagine, the ride to Tae Kwon Do, all of 5 minutes away, developed into an emotional roller coaster of triumph and defeat, agony and ecstasy. No matter what I did, someone was happy, and someone else was sad. Ryan nearly melted all the way when I turned Left into a parking space!

And of course, they remembered to continue it all the way home. Because my people never, ever forget anything. And poor me! Bound by the confines of reality, I must take the roads as they are and go in the direction necessary to reach our goal! What a mean old mommy I am!

Hmmm....they are presently having a Yes/No argument in the kitchen over ketchup. And Ryan just pulled the old Bugs Bunny trick by switching to Yes and it worked: Morgan switched to No! Maybe I can try to use that tactic on the way to swimming--which is much, much farther from the house. Merciful Zeus!


C. August said...

Ryan's correct. Right turns are objectively better.

Just tell him about how UPS has redesigned their systems and delivery routes so that they save a ton of time and money not waiting to turn left across traffic.

I'm sure that will help resolve things. In fact, I think I'll give him a call and tell him that. (ha ha ha... diabolical laughter!)

Flibbert said...

It's true. I hate to argue with puppies, but right turns are definitely better.

Another Jenn said...

But left turns are so much more adventurous...that whole dodging traffic, screaming "Hope you got the Colgate shield on!", that adrenaline. Gotta go with Morgan on this one!

Rational Jenn said...

I think you all make valid points. I do prefer right turns myself--that efficiency expert in me just loves them. But then again, there's something to be said for the thrill and excitement of those wild left turns.

There must be a metaphor for Life in there somewhere: You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have . . . no, wait, that's the Facts of Life!

Still, mostly what I want is to be able to just, you know, drive the car. :o)