Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Where I Am Somewhat Panicked About Christmas

Holy crap! Christmas is next week! I'm woefully unprepared, but I know that somehow or other, it'll mostly get done.

We're leaving for Chicago in less than a week. That's right. Chicago. We'll get to see Brendan's family (immediate and extended), some old friends from college, and SNOW! Or so the kids hope. I'm hoping we'll get to see nicely cleared roadways with some snow on the sides.

Because we'll be driving up, which may or may not be a good idea. We'll see. Driving allows some travel flexibility as well as the ability to transport presents to give and presents received. It will be an adventure, that's for sure. Especially since the baby finds nursing in the car to be nearly impossible these days, what with all of the interesting Air Bag Warning signs to look at. Seriously. He is distracted by the black and yellow Air Bag Warning signs on the visor and is too mesmerized to nurse. I figure there's a point, though, where he'll get hungry enough to eat. Right? Right!?!?!? There's gonna have to be, since he hasn't started solids yet. Maybe I'll get a black and yellow Air Bag sticker to put on my shirt. Then he can have the best of both worlds. :o)

I have most of the big gifts purchased or on order and I think I can pick up the others, like stocking stuffers, during a strategic run (or two) to Walmart or Super Target. And whatever we miss, we could get in Chicago, but since I think going to any retail store the few days before Christmas is Hell-on-Earth, I'm going to do my best to avoid that if possible.

Let's see, what else? We received the stocking my grandma knitted for Sean yesterday. It's so sweet and special. Each of my kids, Brendan, and I have a hand-knitted Christmas stocking with our names on them. I've had mine since I was a year old. Brendan was so honored last year, and the kids all had one for their very first Christmas. Too cute. My grandma is amazing. She's 88 years old and still knitting! Wish we could see her, but they live all the way in California, darn them! (knitting joke) We hope to make it out there soon though.

This is our last week of kid activities for the year. Swimming today, Chess and Ballet tomorrow, Taekwondo (is that one word or three?) two more times. Hooray! I love our activities, but it's nice to take a break, too. Ryan will definitely keep up with chess next year, and taekwondo. Morgan digs Music Class and ballet. But I think it might be time to drop swimming for a while. We need a budget-y break, and we can always pick it up again as it gets closer to summer.

And now I must be off to get some lunch into these people before swimming.


brendan said...

"Maybe I'll get a black and yellow Air Bag sticker to put on my shirt."

ARGH! So... many... inappropriate... jokes...

Must... resist... urge to speak...

Diana Hsieh said...

How about covering up the airbag sticker with something boring to him, something he sees all the time -- like a picture of a woman's breast? You should be able to find one of those on the internet if you search really hard, I think.


Rational Jenn said...

Brendan--LOL! You like it.

Diana--Also, with the funny. I can just see us with a boob picture in the car, in the parking lot of Cracker Barrel (our favorite road trip restaurant)! Oh, I'm giggling.

Crazy boy. :o)

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

From what my Chicagoland relatives say, you are very likely to see snow.

Have a safe and happy trip.

I keep wanting to remove what I consider to be "ugly" air bag signs from my vehicles. And then I wonder if I am legally allowed to do it.

I remember this cartoon from the '80's. A couple is standing on their front porch as the SWAT team approaches, squad cars with flashing lights are in the driveway, the FBI has the house surrounded, and the black helicopter is the air. An officer with a bullhorn is saying: We found out you removed the DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW" tag from your couch!"

Anonymous said...


I think you are forgetting that we don't get snow in Indiana and Illinois, we get frozen ice, sleety rain and slush.