Thursday, January 15, 2009

Spelling Lessons

Morgan's been playing around with puzzle pieces that have letters on them, arranging and rearranging them, and sounding out her word creations.

We've done snow and mow and fox and on. And vsof and ewc and xefv. She's mostly doing this activity on her own, only asking me for help reading her more unusual creations. It's so fascinating to watch her pursue this work at her own initiative. And convenient for me that she's so independent about it, as I'm able to talk to her and use Facebook at the same time. :o)

Well, she wanted to know what fx spelled. We sounded it out together and decided "fffks" doesn't really sound like much of anything. I absentmindedly suggested that a vowel might help. She asked me to say the vowels again, so I said "a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y." And then I returned to my Facebook Very Important Grownup Work.

Methodical child that she is, she began creating new words and saying them aloud:

"fax . . .fex . . . fix . . . fox . . . [wait for it] . . . fux!"

And then of course, fixated on the last word, chanting it over and over again. "Mom, Mom! I think 'fx' spells 'fux'!"

This homeshcooling thing is a blast!

3 comments:

Monica said...

Cute. I bet you're acting (or attempting to act) completely nonchalant about it, supermom that you are.

Many moms would freak out, tell the kid never to spell or say the word again, and then (due to the child's immense curiosity at this bad word that gets attention) would have to deal with child spelling or saying the word at home and in public for weeks. :)

I can't criticize anyone because I don't have kids, though.

She She said...

At least you were in the privacy of your own home! (This time...)

suchlovelyfreckles said...

Very nice. :)

And since we're telling little anecdotes. My uncircumcised son realized about a year ago, that the foreskin is moving much easier now. So he had to check it out. He stood at the top of the stairs and said, "Look mom. It works!" and went to business consistently saying "Wheep. Whoop. Wheep. Whoop."
I grinned and let him do his thing until it got boring and he was ready to get dressed.

Oh crap... should I be telling such stories in... uh... blog public?