Sunday, February 08, 2009

About My Weekend

What a happy thing it is, to sit on my front porch on a nice Sunday afternoon, in short sleeves! Morgan is riding her bike on the sidewalk, Ryan and several friends are having a battle, Sean is leaning over the edge of his blanket, trying to get hold of some tasty grass.

. . .

Well, I wrote that several hours ago. Within seconds of my completing that thought, Sean stuffed a fistful of dead grass and leaves in his mouth and began to gag (removed in time), Morgan had a minor bike crisis (averted), my friend stopped by to chat (very neighborly), Ryan and his buddies began stalking the unsuspecting preschoolers across the street (redirected to more appropriate foes). I'm not doing anything if I'm not doing about 4 things at once! (What I wouldn't give to be Elastigirl!)

What a great afternoon--it was SO NICE to be outside!

It's been a fun-filled weekend in other ways, too. Sean finally had a tooth break through and is so close to crawling that he's tricked us several times into turning the video camera on and pointing it at him. It's only a matter of time--I'm excited, but don't feel quite ready yet. But when would I ever feel completely ready? Never, of course.

We bought Xanadu on iTunes last night and made a big production of showing it on The Big Wall. Oh my goodness, what fun that was! Morgan was enthralled, which was expected, and Ryan really got into it, too.

You perhaps can't imagine what it's like to watch a movie with him--he's a man of a thousand questions. So we found ourselves answering the most unusual questions about Xanadu (spoilers follow, but I wouldn't worry too much about reading them if you haven't seen the's Xanadu!).

  • Why did she kiss him?
  • Is she a god?
  • Was that voice her father? Zeus?
  • Is he a god?
  • Why can't we see Zeus?
  • Are they using their imaginations (in the memory scenes)?
  • Why is that girl tied up with ropes?
  • What is a nightclub?
  • Why do they dance at nightclubs?
  • Is Sonny's boss a mean guy?
  • Why are they skating?
  • Why is she wearing a cowgirl outfit?

Those are just a few questions I can recall. He's one for questions, that's for certain. I can honestly say I've never put that much thought into the plot of Xanadu. But we sang and danced and had fun!

To completely change the subject, I've been making an evaluation of our diet, because I'm trying to be better about such things. In particular, I am finding my way back to WAPF, as I mentioned in passing a few posts ago. (Thanks to those who left encouraging comments!) This is partly due to all of the recent nutritional blogging done by lots of people I respect, like Monica and Diana, as well as personal friends (of the non-blogging variety). Through each of them, I've discovered some new blogs of interest and I'm getting more inspired each day.

I first heard about WAPF when Ryan was about a year and a half old and we started down the path. But I let myself get sidetracked by the peanut allergy (many of the non-HFCS products I was feeding us were contaminated with peanuts, yikes). Further sidetracks included: other babies and my seeming inability to visit the grocery store in a timely manner. In other words, even though I thought it was a great way to eat, I wasn't totally committed to it.

In my recent thinking about our food, however, I was pleasantly surprised to realize that I hadn't totally abandoned all of the WAPF stuff. And I've been slowly making progress in the right direction to the point where I can say that while there is certainly improvement needed, we're definitely on the right track.

My kids drink only whole milk, sometimes raw (much as I'd like to be, I'm not much of a milk drinker). The kids are as likely to pick up a hard-boiled egg for a snack as something else. We eat lots of cheese and yogurt and bacon. In fact, we usually make scrambled eggs and bacon for dinner at least one night a week--yummy and inexpensive! We eat grassfed beef all the time.

We still eat too many grains, and haven't completely gotten rid of the HFCS, but overall, I'm pleased that we're on the right track, and much further along that I had thought! And now that I know what to do with yummy chicken stock (THANKS!) and have become more inventive with the crockpot, I'm really getting on the plan.

My one burning question is how to handle going--or rather, not going--into ketosis as a nursing mother. I left at question on Dr. Eades' blog several months ago, thanks to a suggestion by Diana. Dr. Eades responded to my question and pretty much confirmed all of the research I had already done--nobody really knows if the toxins released along with the ketones are passed into breastmilk and/or are detrimental to baby. So I'm hesitant to try low-carbing of any sort at this point, since Sean is still about 90% breastfed, and we're likely to extended-nurse. What I'm doing is to make sure I'm eating carbs in the form of veggies and not stressing about bread (I don't eat tons, but I do eat it). But if any of you reading this has other information, I'd love links! I have, however, added Vitamin D supplements since we're indoors so much of the time.

And that's all for now--time to wrangle these critters into bed! Past time, actually!


Monica said...

Jenn, does ketosis produce toxins in breastmilk? I would be curious as to any info on that as it's not something I know much about.

Seems there are no studies of ketogenic diets on the effect of infants except in Type 1 diabetic mothers. I'm skeptical that eating a lot of fat or protein could be bad for a breastfed infant, just under the evolutionary principle that many women in several apparently healthy hunter gatherer societies would have done it. The Inuit for example, on their all meat and very high fat diet. Do they have some sort of metabolic differences to other humans that would have made this OK? I don't know.

Of course, we know that vegan mother's milk, from a rather extreme diet as well, is deficient in many things. However it has no evolutionary precedent. Even vegetarian societies in evolutionary history ate dairy or eggs. For that reason, I'm skeptical that a ketogenic diet would be nutritionally deficient or toxic for an infant based on the evolutionary principle. Human milk has carbohydrate, though, I believe. I wonder how a ketogenic diet would affect the carbohydrate content of the milk, if at all? And in turn how this would affect the baby? These are not things I know but would be good to know.

Seems, though, that there may still be other concerns with ketosis in breastfeeding, such as the milk drying up. Here are a few accounts, both good and bad, and some potentially helpful resources:

As for the WAPF diet, I find it far more accommodating than the paleo type diets. (And of course, you know I drink milk so I'm not really paleo.) I ate my first slices of bread today (sprouted) from Alvarado bakery in the frozen section of Whole Foods. Pretty yummy. Since I'm losing weight I don't plan to make a habit of that but I'm skeptical that all grains prepared in a traditional way are bad for everyone. I picked up this idea reading Taubes but I'm not sure it's actually justified. I'm still developing my thinking on this.

I'm afraid that was a complete ramble and not very helpful on the breastfeeding situation. The bottom line is that I don't know, either. I seem to recall at least one person on the Eades blog leaving a comment that she did a low carb diet while breastfeeding without incident, though. Absent a larger sample size, a study, or more information from a hunter gatherer group like the Inuit (rather than the mere assumptions I'm making) I can understand your concern.

Monica said...

Jenn, this doesn't give you any information to solve the dilemma of a a ketogenic diet while breastfeeding, but it will certainly make you feel good about your current food choices! I wonder if you've seen it:

very cool!