Tuesday, February 10, 2009


Lots of great stuff out there for reading lately. Some very interesting parenting posts include:

Principled Parent reviews
Jane Nelsen's book Positive Discipline: The First Three Years, with specific examples of the ideas she found most valuable. The post was a nice way for me to review some of the PD ideas, too--always good to review, to make sure the concepts are sticking in my head.

John Drake of Try Reason has a nice post about how raising kids is a productive venture. He likens the role of a parent to that of a manager, a similarity I've noticed, too. The post was also a nice reminder for me about how best to define "productivity" for the job I have undertaken--that it's not necessarily all in the completion of tasks (as evidenced by my laundry problem and the general state of disorder in the house!), but rather in the process of nurturing young human beings.

Amy of The Little Things has an interesting post about kids dropping the S-bomb. No, not the word you're thinking of. Incidentally, I'm in complete agreement with her about kids and curse words--don't forbid (in other words, don't have a double standard for kids and grownups), don't make a big deal about bad words, address the reasons behind hurtful language rather than forbidding the word itself. For our part, we have set some parameters around when and where they can say those words--some words are just not polite in certain circumstances--like playgroup or at an activity like taekwondo or ballet. So they can say those words as much as they like at home or in the car (where they often hear Mommy using, um, choice words). We have never had a problem with them not understanding this parameter, and really, they don't curse like sailors either.

And some interesting non-parenting stuff, too:

The Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights has a new blog called Voices For Reason. Looks interesting!

If you are as interested in dogs as my daughter is, you'll probably love the posts about the dog show over at 3 Ring Binder.

And here's a new blog that looks promising: Semiconductor Girl.

Okay--I've been writing this post for hours now (you don't want to know--it's been a Morning, I tell ya). So I'll stop for now and go do some of that productive stuff I need to do.


John Drake said...

Thanks for the plug. Incidentally, my wife and I are reading Positive Discipline. So far I am really intrigued. I can see a lot of areas where I can improve my relationship with my kids. I think it really hit me the other day when my son did something he shouldn't have, I called his name, and he ran away. I don't want my kids to be scared of me when they do something wrong. Its my parenting style that's the problem and something I aim to fix. Thank you for all your blog posts on the subject.

suchlovelyfreckles said...

That must be the passing full moon or something. Seems like a lot of people are having "a morning"....

Kelly Elmore said...

Jenn, you type A people are so funny! You work so hard to accept a slower pace and do "goof off things" as a parent. One of my favorite things about being a parent is that now I have a socially acceptable reason to relax and read and talk and play in the garden, instead of people thinking I'm a slacker! It's Livy, really!

Principled Parent said...

Thanks for linking to my review. I'm really behind in my blog reading--sorry for the delayed thanks :-)