Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hello From CrazyBusy Land

I have had a love-hate relationship with our activity schedule, especially in the last few weeks. I love that the kids get to do things they enjoy--taekwondo, ballet, chess, soccer--and I love that we are able to swing those activities financially and logistically. But I am REALLY looking forward to a break. Things will be winding down soon for the summer, and I can't wait.

Once again, see how we are tied in with the school routine even though we are not in the school system? It's not really good or bad--it's just . . . interesting.

I'm finally working on pictures of all of the birthday-road trip-life in general hooplae (that's the plural of hoopla, yes?) and hope to start updating the FamBlog tonight. And I have about a dozen wonderful ideas for blog posts that I'd love to be able to have the time to write. And one of these days, I just might oughta do some laundry, too, since Ryan had a clean-underpants crisis this morning (don't worry, we found some!) and I really need to go through Ryan's toddler clothes to find some spring/summer things for Sean. Can you believe he is moving out of 12 month sized clothing and into 18 months?

In the meantime (since I know you're awaiting all of these developments with breathless anticipation!), please take a moment to write your Senators to oppose the fast-tracking of a healthcare bill through Congress. The very, very last thing our country needs right now is another enormous bill that nobody has even read shoved through Congress and down our throats at lightning speed. Especially concerning something so very important. The health insurance/medical care issue needs to be subject to open scrutinization and debate, which is, I suspect, the reason many of our lawmakers would love to push it through Congress so quickly. For more information, see the above-linked article, and this blog post at NoodleFood.



Amy said...

Samantha, who is 2 years and 7 months old, just grew out of the last of her 18 month old clothes!

Is Ryan going to do any summer "day camp" activities? The "day camp" concept is new to me. We didn't have than when I grew up in California. Since the camps are usually just a couple of weeks long, it seems like a great way to try new things and identify a child's interests, without a big commitment.

Kelly Elmore said...

We aren't crazy about the whole day camp thing at our house. Livy isn't the get out of the house every single day and do what other people have scheduled kind of girl. Once a week, doing soccer,etc, is doable, but I think, at least right now, doing the same thing for five days in a row is too much.

I kind of wish she liked that kind of thing more because there are so many neat camps. But she just wants to play at the park, ride her scooter, play video games, and help me in the garden. All worthwhile things, I guess!

C. August said...

Hoopla is already plural, consisting of many individual constituent parts that make up the hoopla, called hooplum.

See the excellent song "We Built This City" by Starship, in which they sagely intone:

"Knee deep in the hoopla
Sinking in your fight
Too many runaways
Eating up the night"

In this case, each individual night-eating runaway is one hooplum. Starship is telling us that they are knee deep in many runaways, such that they are sinking into the hoopla.

brendan said...

C -- a brilliant analysis of that song! My respect for Starship has escalated infinitely (noting that even the smallest increase from zero is by definition infinite).

Well, I better get back to playing my corporation games. Or is it time to *change* the corporation games again? I keep forgetting.

C. August said...

No, Brendan. No.

You don't change corporation games. You change corporation Names.

But, "who cares?"

"Don't you remember?" "Marconi plays the mamba..."

brendan said...

Well, f**k. Now I need to go back and change the corporation names, for every time I have been foolishly changing the corporation GAMES? That's a lot of name-changing, let me tell you, mister!

Unless of course, that changing the corporation names is in and of itself a corporation game, which would mean that I would need to go all the way back to the original corporation *game* during this process, and since each iteration of a new corporation game would need to have a corresponding corporation name...

Oh no. My eyes have gone crossed.

I think, to my own shame, that I must let sleeping dogs lie in this case. I cannot hope to undertake such a daunting task, let alone understand it. Surely this is a problem that can only be fixed by Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama, and another stimulus package.

I yield to your superior knowledge of Starship lyrics, and throw myself at your mercy, C. If you would like to call in Grace Slick as counsel, that is your right.

DAMN my teenage impatience! If only I hadn't tuned away so quickly when that song came on the radio, I might have been the wiser! And to think, it was only one hooplum that got me into all of this.