Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Quote Of The Day

Via Nick at The Rule of Reason:

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

-- Samuel Adams

Okay--so 24 hours later and NOW I'm all nervous and freaked out about the video thing. I'm not sure I'll be able to watch myself. It's some weird form of Buyer's Remorse. Speaker's Remorse, maybe?

If you see it, be kind....this is NOT normally my kind of thing and I will probably want to look for a big, deep hole to hide in when it's shown.

Seriously--what is this--a delayed attack of nerves? Is this a clinical condition for which I may self-medicate? I've got wine....hmmmmmm....

We're still planning to be there tonight, although we've booked a hotel room nearby so we don't have to fight traffic (there's also a Braves game tonight) and in case things get to be too much for the little ones. I'm anticipating LOTS of people. Hopefully we'll be the craziest ones there, although I suspect not. :o) And, I'll try to post live updates and/or pictures on Twitter if I can, so follow me!

Okay, off to make our signs and print our handouts and pack a bottle of wine snacks and drinks for the kids! And yes, just so the whole world knows at the outset, so I can try to avoid any controversy if possible: the kids will be helping us hold the signs. :o)


Kelly said...

I'm sure you'll be FINE, Jenn! And one of the most principled ones up there, to boot! And as for self-medication, I suggest a Toblerone bar mmmmm....

Hope you and the kids have fun! :-D

Anonymous said...

I love that quote from Sam Adams. My favorite Objectivist virtue has always been independence. It captures in my mind the whole essence of what it means to be an adult. An adult takes care of himself (or herself).

I love how Adams implies that servility is the mark of a slave, or children. It really is amazing how the Federal government is in the business of essentially treating its citizens like kids who haven't learned responsibility and accountability.