Wednesday, July 22, 2009

In Which I Write about How Sometimes I Cook

Now, I don't often write about cooking, as I wouldn't consider myself a cook. I mean, I can do it, but it's usually under protest, following much whiny dealings at the grocery store, and I tend to fall back on a few old standbys (steaks/burgers on the grill, tacos, my famous cheese & pepperoni, etc.).

But back in March, I had an awesome cooking experience--I helped test recipes for my friend Jennifer's new amazing cookbook that has just come out! YAY!

I once had the pleasure of standing in a group of 5 or 6 people, snarfing down Jennifer's garlic roast beef just as fast as she could slice it. Grab a piece, dip in horseradish, eat, repeat as necessary. I knew the recipes in her book would be amazing, and I was not disappointed.

My neighbor and I tested the Father's Day Menu: grilled steak with yummy onions, a shrimp ceviche, and grilled peaches. Talk about fun, fairly simple, and SOOOOOO DELICIOUS.

But if you want the recipes, then you gotta get the cookbook (and other yummy things, too)! And while you're on the site, don't miss her wonderful tribute to Julia Child.

Also, you can follow Jennifer on Twitter, too--she's @foodphilosophy. Her partner is @ChefMark, who was ever so nice and helpful with the testing process. It was an interesting experience, helping out like a real Chef Peopleguy, and I'm glad I got to do it. Oh, oh! And my name is in the back of the book under the Acknowledgments section! I'm almost famous!!!!

And since I've learned there are but 156 shopping days left until Christmas (you heard it here first!), you might want to add this to your shopping list. I'm just sayin'.

Full disclosure: I signed up for their affiliate program, so if you click on the cookbook link above, I will benefit. But then, so will you. And so will Jennifer. And so will your friends. Really, I can't see that it's a bad deal at all. :o) In all seriousness, I would have written the same review either way. And now aren't you thinking about signing up for the affiliate program? I think you should!


Jennifer Iannolo said...

Thank you so much, Jenn. I don't think I've ever had a more captive audience than the day I made that roast beef -- and it's what every cook lives for.

Thanks to you, Marlene and everyone for making this project so much fun for us!

Next trip to Atlanta, I'll make dinner. ;)

Rational Jenn said...

Well, I will definitely take you up on dinner! I'll even help out...and I doubt we could keep Ryan, Morgan, and Livy away.... :o) You could have your own little peopleguy shop going.

Really, The Day of the Roast Beef stands out in my mind as one of the best things. It was great friends, great food, great sense of life--human beings celebrating living on Earth! What could be better?

Daniel said...

Just an FYI: the link with the picture seems to be broken. It just takes me to a white page with the same picture in the upper right corner.