Sunday, July 05, 2009

It's My Blogiversary!

This here blog is 4 years old today!

When I first started the blog, Morgan was a little bitty baby and Ryan was only three. I've been blogging for over half of his life! Mr. Sean, of course, wasn't even on the horizon.

I started the blog for a couple of reasons. I wanted to have a way to capture some of our Moments--funny things the kids said or did, or how I was feeling about being a Career Mommy.

I also wanted to be able to talk to other grownups during the day. I love my little companions, but sometimes--especially back then--our conversations tended to hover around the same topics and were very repetitive. I enjoy talking about dogs and army plans, really, but sometimes I get a kick out of talking to adults, too. So writing on the blog, even if nobody (besides my sister!) read it, was a way for me to carry on at least my side of an adult conversation.

My blog still fulfills those needs for me, four years later. I imagine that when the kids are older, they might look back on what I wrote about their early days and laugh or cringe or at least be interested. And I will remember what it was like to be in the Mommy trenches.

However, the blog has developed into more than just an outlet for my daily thoughts about mommydom and the kids. My writing on the blog had ebbed and flowed without real direction until I joined OBloggers. So many things changed after I joined that group. I have been able to get to e-know many other bloggers who share my philosophical views. Joining that group made me eager to write posts of more substance, to share a bit more about what I think and why, and to enter into the Great Bloggy Conversation, if you will. So if I haven't said it before, thank you, Diana, for starting OBloggers!

In the last two years, my blog really started to take off in ways I never imagined, changing from something that was small and probably not much of interest to anyone outside my family and close friends, into something slightly less small with wider appeal and Readers! Lots of Readers from all over the place. :o)

I became the second administrator of the Objectivist Round Up blog carnival and was inspired to create the Living with Food Allergies blog carnival, for reasons near and dear to my heart. I began to read and comment on homeschooling and parenting blogs of all flavors and philosophies. I even occasionally ranted branched out into politics and current events (which resulted in my being asked to record that statement at the April Tea Party in Atlanta).

Yes, I still write about The People, because they are, of course, my primary job and I also still sometimes need a break from them to "talk" to other grownups. But even my writing about them has changed, in ways that I hope they will one day appreciate.

In the last year, I've made a concerted effort to write more in depth about parenting issues and my successes (and failures) in parenting. I am especially proud of my parenting posts, because my job is so very important to me. It's critical that I am able to articulate how positive discipline as a parenting strategy complements Objectivism--the philosophic ideals that are crucial to my happiness--so that I can keep getting better all the time and become happier, too. Which is crucial to my family's happiness, because you know the saying: "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" :o)

Writing on the blog has opened up many new ideas and possibilities for the future. Because I won't always be a Career Mommy--if I do it right, I'll work myself out of the job. And I plan to do it right.

So I'm happy to be doing this bloggy thing, and plan to keep on keeping on for the time being. It's a fun intellectual endeavor and it's good for my mental health. And I can't deny that I'm thrilled to have so many regular readers! If I ever get REALLY famous, I will thank you all on a big stage, like they do at the Oscars. :o)

Until then, THANK YOU for reading and commenting and I'm so looking forward to meeting many of you in person one day.

18 comments:

Kim said...

Happy bloggiversary! I know I've benefitted for having found your blog (way, way back). I'm looking forward to four more years.

Ansley said...

Happy Blogday! Happy Bloggiversary! Thank you for all you have shared and written. You make the world a better place. I look forward to much, much more!

PC said...

Congratulations on your Blogerversary, from one of your readers from all over the place. :-)

Travis N said...

Congrats, Jenn. I'm happy I found your blog and have enjoyed being a regular reader for the last year or so.

Darren said...

Congrats!

Kelly Elmore said...

Yay Jenn! Not only do I like to read what you write, but I love having a friend who is famous. I can tell people, "Oh, yeah, I know Rational Jenn. We are totally tight."

C. August said...

Happy belated blogiversary! As usual, I'm late with the well wishes.

For your next project, perhaps you could develop a standardization of the spelling of blogiversary. Here are the options so far proposed:

Blogiversary (my vote)
Bloggiversary
Blogeversary

LB said...

Happy Blogiversary!

I've really enjoyed your blog and been inspired by many of the things you've written about.

Yay for you!

Dawn said...

Congratulations! I am a relatively new reader of your blog, but I absolutely love it! Thank you for the great insights and your wonderful sense of humor!

Such Lovely Freckles said...

Four years! Wow!!!!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Congratulations, Jenn!

Your blog has been a great source of inspiration for me on several fronts. It has helped me move from homeschool blog to more political blogging, and you have helped me clarify my thinking philosophically, which has changed how I view life, politics and everything!

I look forward to much, much more!

Rational Jenn said...

Thanks, everyone! :o)

Michael L. said...

Reports of your blog's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Michael Gold said...

Keep it going! Make it 40!

Rational parenting, and beyond. Gotta keep going so you can maybe lay some ground work for rational grand-parenting...

Kelly said...

Congrats! I too, have REALLY enjoyed your blog, and have learned so much. Thanks so much for sharing your stories and insight with all of us!

Nowheymama said...

Congratulations!

Gus Van Horn said...

Belated congratulations! I always enjoy your humor and insight.

Principled Parent said...

Happy 4 years of blogging! I've been reading your blog for years now--even before I became a parent. I love to read your posts and get so many parenting ideas from you. Thanks for all of your well written and well thought out posts!