Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What Will Tomorrow Bring?

We had a better day today, for the most part. But it began for our next door neighbors with a 911 phone call. Our friend, who had been on some new medication for a couple of weeks, had a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction. The docs think it's the meds, but it's entirely possible he could have developed a food allergy--they ate fish and shellfish for dinner last night. He'll go have allergy testing in a couple of weeks.

He had taken some Benadryl before bed last night, because he wasn't feeling right and he knew it would help him sleep. The docs told them that his taking those two doses of Benadryl probably saved his life.

I'm so glad he's okay, and that he had the wherewithal to call 911 himself. His wife had stepped out to go work out at the gym, thinking that she'd be back before anyone in her household woke up. She was a little freaked out, to say the least, to find paramedic peopleguys at her house at 6:45 in the morning.

It was a very sobering way to begin the day, and I couldn't help but think about Ryan. I'm hoping when he feels better, our neighbor will describe for me what the experience was like, so I can think of ways to help Ryan learn about possible symptoms. Our friend didn't think of this in the moment, but they actually have one of Ryan's Epi-pens over there, as an emergency back up. The Epi-pen Jr. is half the adult dose, but it would have helped, I think. I told them to go ahead and use it next time!

Here at the Casey Castle, we had a fairly uneventful day. The kids next door didn't come over, which was disappointing to Ryan, but we managed to have fun anyway. :o) Neither Sean nor anyone else fell down the stairs or otherwise tried to kill themselves, so I'm counting today as a WIN (for our family at least).

Good Things About Today

1. Our neighbor survived his very close call.

2. Sean learned a new word: apple. He pronounces it "ack-a."

3. Morgan conquered a very difficult level in World of Goo! She was so proud she barked and wagged her imaginary tail. Good dog!

4. Ryan requested that I read him some of The Odyssey, as retold by Geraldine McCaughrean. We read about the Lotus-Eaters and he was enthralled.

5. The kids helped me clean up and clean OUT the playroom! There is a playroom-related post in the making--I'm waiting to see how the story turns out before I share it though. I'm anticipating a dramatic, suspense-filled finish, but I'm not yet sure if the ending will be tragic and thus worthy of an Oscar nod, or if we'll end up with the feel-good movie of the summer. Stay tuned.

6. I'm still making progress with the One Word PD Tool. Funniest One Word I've used this week: "Head!" For those times when someone is annoying his sister by sticking his head in her face. It worked, and I was powerfully reminded of some of the funny brilliance in the movie So I Married an Axe Murderer: "Head! Pants! Now!"

6. You need to check out the following links:

  • Oh--this came up in my Google Alerts today: "Food Allergies Get Curiouser and Curiouser," from New Scientist. I haven't had time to read this thoroughly, but the gist of the article seems to be that food allergies in general are really baffling to scientists all over the world, and the problem is more complex that many appreciate. Also, I tend to like articles with literary references in the titles.
That's it for now! I'm going to get some rest while I can--Ryan has his first taekwondo sparring class tomorrow evening, and I think I'm going to need all of the liquor nerves I can get in order to cope.

4 comments:

C. August said...

Have you seen the size o' that boy's noggin? It's a virtual planetoid! It's got its own weather system!

It's like an orange on a toothpick!

Kelly Elmore said...

I love that part of the Odyssey. Did you tell about the lovely Tennyson poem on the same story?

Rational Jenn said...

C--"He'll be cryin' himself to sleep on his huge pilla!"

Kelly--no, we didn't get to Tennyson, but that might be fun! He's dying to hear the next chapter about the Cyclops. :o)

Mrs. C said...

Um, WOW. Hope your neighbour learns to use an epi-pen soon...

Thought you would be interested in this post on peanuts/ps by a ps educator. He's a good guy and I like his blog. I drop this in to see what *you* think.

Mmm... IF Darren publishes my comment you can see what I think LOL!

http://rightontheleftcoast.blogspot.com/2009/07/peanut-parents.html

Hope all is well. :]