Sunday, November 22, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

We are back from our lovely weekend at the cabin! Personally, I think birthdays ought to transcend just the special date (yesterday) and should include the day or two before and the day or two after the big day. That way you can carpe all of the diem possible (or at least, pace yourself)!

A few highlights:

We got the cabin decorated for the holiday season. The tree looks so gorgeous and fancy. The tree we put together at home is fun and sentimental, with colorful silly ornaments that go way back to my childhood (and Brendan's, too). Lots of crazy colors and there's a story behind every ornament. I wouldn't have it any other way. But! The cabin tree is FANCY. It looks like one of the trees you might see at a department store. Its theme is simple--red and gold balls--and this year we added some cute little wooden animal ornaments--owls and chipmunks. Very cabin-y. It's not as fun as our family tree, but with the cabin decor I can indulge my desire for cutesy-ness and matchiness.

We ate at Poole's BBQ yesterday for lunch and it was yum yum yum! There's just something about hand-pulled pork at a roadside restaurant in North Georgia. And there's just something else about a barbecue place with a car that oinks all through your lunch, too. I love Georgia!

We managed to get some really cute pictures of the kids for our Christmas cards. The photo session was unusually fraught with roller coaster emotions--but we all survived intact and bonded a little bit more afterwards. :o)

Last night, I was treated to a firelight show as performed by my older kids and Kelly and her daughter. Actually even Aaron and Brendan were in on it, too. The girls performed a T-Rex/pterodactyl battle (with sound effects by Ryan), songs were sung, poems read, guitars played, marshmallows roasted. Fun!

I learned that I should probably never ever ever have more than one glass of champagne in the course of an evening. I don't know what it is about champagne, but it always messes with me. So I'm done with that! (Okay, okay, sure . . . it only took 39 years for me to figure that out, but better late than never, yes?)

I won a contest! Topsy-Techie, who I e-know because she created and manages the website Secular Homeschool, ran a contest on her blog, giving away cake decorating supplies. Since that's something I actually do many times a year, and since she was running this contest in honor of her own 39th birthday (which was one day before mine), I decided to enter. And it paid off, 'cause I won! :o) (Thanks, Topsy!)

Let's see, what else? Tons of Facebook and Twitter and blog and email and voicemail messages and phone conversations from my friends and family really made me smile. Thank you! Morgan insisted on "buying" (as in, duping Brendan into buying) me a hat for my birthday from the Army Surplus Store. For real. Yummy steaks with blue cheese. Laughing and talking with my husband and friends. A nap this afternoon.

Not a bad way to spend a weekend, actually! :o) What did you do?


Principled Parent said...

Happy Birthday Jenn!

Beth said...

Happy Birthday Jenn!

I finished my 2 blog posts on mammograms, gave a surprise 16th birthday party for my daughter's good friend Allie, went with my son to a book signing for the 12th book in the Wheel of Time series at our local book store, and then today I went climbing at the gym with my husband. Pretty darn good weekend!!

Tori said...

Happy belated birthday, Jenn! Sounds like you had a perfect one. :)