Monday, November 30, 2009

Help Me Out! (Please!)

Well, I'm trying to wrassle with a new parenting post (on rewards, in response to the excellent comments on this post) but it's likely going to be a little while before it's ready.

In the meantime, I feel a little at loose ends for ideas for future parenting posts. Not that there's not tons of stuff to write about, but that's almost my problem--I don't know which to choose.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Leave 'em in the comments! Thanks!


Miranda Barzey said...

What's your policy on the kids saying sorry? The normal parenting technique after one kid wrongs another is to force one kid to apologize. And if the apology doesn't sound sincere enough, the kid is forced to make it sound "more real". how do you handle it? Is it even a priority?

Ansley said...

I'm having trouble coming up with a parenting post of my own, but I really like Miranda's suggestion for you.

Rational Jenn said...

That's a great topic, just the kind of suggestion I was looking for. Thanks! I'll write a post on it soon--maybe very soon, since I think I can make it a relatively (for me) short post.

Tasha said...

What about the issue I mentioned about my darling child assuming the parent role and bossing the other one around - sometimes with force? I got some suggestions from my FB friends on it - most of which I thought were crap because they shifted responsibility from me, the parent, to the "thing" that was watching, either Santa, elf on the shelf, etc. I also think that particular type of "enforcement" cripples the child and s/he is no longer behaving out of respect but rather out of paranoia.

You suggested talking and setting boundaries, and someone else suggested a chart tracking the behavior. I thought both were good solutions and I will be trying them both. I'm sure if you explore the issue more - and post to your lovely followers - then you will come up with some additional strategies.

No pressure. :)

Sarah N. said...

Hi! I've really enjoyed reading your blog for the past couple months. (I'm Travis N's wife -- he got me reading it.) Along the rewards line, I'd be interested to know your advice on implementing positive discipline techniques in situations where the natural consequences of an action are neither obvious to the child, nor particularly negative to them (but negative to the parents). I'm thinking about things like toilet training, or teaching a child not to wake everyone in the house up before 6am. We have a 3-year-old (and 20 month old) and have been struggling with how to deal with these issues without things like reward charts. For example, our 3-year-old couldn't care less if his pants are wet, so he doesn't really experience negative consequences of that and have any impetus to change. He also can't really appreciate long-term consequences yet. Thoughts?