Thursday, February 11, 2010

Secular Thursday

This is my first post for Secular Thursday, in which secular homeschooling bloggers like me write about something, well, secular and/or homeschooling. Smrt Mama (who I've met in real life) is the, well, smrt mama who came up with and is sponsoring this idea. She writes:

Secular Thursday was created to give secular homeschoolers a day to share the difficulties and benefits of secular education and/or secular lifestyles. It’s a day to vent frustrations — at the isolation secular home educators can experience, of the sense of being marginalized by the homeschool community, at the pervasiveness of religion in curricula (or the oppressiveness of some religions and their followers in society). It’s a day to celebrate the positives — finding a great curriculum that perfectly fits your needs, discovering a friend (or a whole community) to offer support and advice, finding a way to bridge differences with members of the religious homeschooling community. It’s a day to review curricula, recommend websites, talk up favorite blogs, or just talk share a day in the life of your particular flavor of secular homeschooler.
I don't know if I'll participate every single week, but I'm going to try!

I don't have anything too specific to homeschooling to write about today, so I'm going with secular. If you haven't already heard about this, check out this survey of secular parents, which I found via Dale McGowan's blog, The Meming of Life. The goal is to survey 3,000 families, and they are about halfway there. So if you're a secular family (homeschooling or not), go check it out! And as a bonus to us Objectivists, I was thrilled to see that 'Objectivist' was listed as an option to several questions. :o)

2 comments:

Daisy said...

While I can't take the survey, I was interested in reading it. Your link leads to Smrt Lernins instead of the survey. I still found it by going to the blog site. Just wanted to let you know. ;-)

Rational Jenn said...

Thanks, Daisy! I fixed the link. :o)