Announcing MiniCon! The Atlanta Objectivist Society (AOS) is sponsoring a weekend of socializing, lectures, and workshops over Independence Day weekend.
Where: Northwest Atlanta Suburbs, Atlanta, Georgia
When: July 2 - July 5, 2010
- Friday evening: Meet and greet at a local restaurant
- Saturday during the day: lectures and discussions and an opportunity to socialize with other Objectivists
- Saturday evening: Party!!
- Sunday morning: a few more lectures or discussions
- Sunday afternoon: a 4th of July BBQ and pool party
- Sunday evening: On your own for fireworks or socializing
- Monday late morning: Shooting at a local gun range (local gun owners will be glad to let you use their guns and will teach any newbies who want to learn)
Lectures and Workshops:
There will be many presentations and interactive workshops on a variety of topics: Introduction to Objectivism, a Bloggers Round Table, a Crossfit guided workout, a Paleo cooking demonstration (and taste-test!), Quantum Mechanics, Special Relativity, two Positive Discipline Parenting mini-workshops, Appreciating Poetry, and much more! For a complete list of lectures and workshops, click here.
We wanted to make this as affordable as possible, therefore the costs are minimal (outside of travel and hotel). The small fees are to cover the costs associated with renting the facility for holding the classes. You can attend everything for about $30! For more information, click here.
The idea came about because many of us were sad that we couldn't make it to this year's OCON in Las Vegas, and we also generally enjoy spending Independence Day with fellow Objectivists. While none of us are professional philosophers, many of us are very knowledgeable in our own fields of expertise, so we thought of this as a chance to share what we know with others who might be interested.
We need your help! If you are interested in coming, please fill out our pre-registration form soon. We are trying to estimate how many people might come to MiniCon.
We also would love it if you would blog, tweet, share on Facebook, tell your friends, family, and even random strangers about MiniCon! Feel free to copy and paste this announcement to your local Objectivist groups or your blog.