Thursday, May 06, 2010

Objectivist Round Up #147





Welcome to the May 6, 2010 edition of the Objectivist Round Up!

For no other reason than I've been thinking about this topic lately (regarding myself and in relation to my parenting), here's a quotation from Ayn Rand about Free Will (as always, via the online Ayn Rand Lexicon):


That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call “free will” is your mind’s freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom, the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and your character.

Galt’s Speech, For the New Intellectual, 127.



And without further ado, I present to you the best of the best Objectivist bloggers have to offer over the past week! Enjoy!


Gus Van Horn presents Thou Shalt Meddle posted at Gus Van Horn, saying, "Islam doesn't just provoke vigilantism in the name of enforcing barbarism. It REQUIRES it."





Rachel Miner presents Manners for Sensory Seekers posted at The Playful Spirit, saying, "A short but sweet note about the quick process I go through when sensory issues are making it difficult for my son to maintain his manners. Every kid has a different sensory threshold (highly dependent on age and temperament), so I think the quick three steps would be useful to most parents."





Burgess Laughlin presents Bernstein to lead study group on capitalism's history posted at Making Progress, saying, "Dr. Andrew Bernstein will lead a study group focusing on four of the historical chapters in his book, _The Capitalist Manifesto: The Historic, Economic and Philosophic Case for Laissez-Faire_. This post briefly describes the upcoming study group and the book itself, a resource for anyone involved in the great political debate of our time, capitalism vs. statism."






Cogito presents Why I Will Never Attend A Brit Milah posted at Cogito's Thoughts, saying, "This post discusses why I think circumcision is an abhorrent practice, and why I therefore will never attend a Brit Milah."





Jim Woods presents To a Public School Apologist posted at Words by Woods, saying, "Answers a commentator who questioned criticism of public education."





Ron Pisaturo presents My Favorite Movies posted at Ron Pisaturo's Blog, saying, "These are movies that I look forward to seeing again and again."





Ari Armstrong presents Value Adders Should Reap Rewards, Not New Taxes posted at Free Colorado, saying, "The Value Added Tax is a bad idea. We should try to achieve fewer types of taxes, not more."





David C Lewis, RFC presents Wall Street Is NOT Evil: There's No Need For "Investor Protection" By The Securities & Exchange Commission posted at A Revolution In Financial Planning.





Joseph Kellard presents Joy posted at The American Individualist, saying, "Here’s my analysis of my favorite sculpture "Joy" by Sam Axton."





Stephen Bourque presents Freedom of Speech posted at One Reality, saying, "Freedom of speech is the last fortification of liberty."





Michael Labeit presents Right to Healthcare = Right to Enslave posted at Michael Labeit at EconomicPolicyJournal.com, saying, "A formalistic argument against a "right to healthcare.""





Diana Hsieh presents Managing Multiple Computers posted at NoodleFood, saying, "I've been able to increase my productivity and better manage my e-mail on multiple computers by changing my e-mail setup from POP to IMAP."





Kendall Justiniano presents How I’ve Changed – Part I, Personal Relationships posted at The Crucible & Column, saying, ""Part of a series of retrospective posts, looking at the impact of ides on my life. This one deals when some of the core things I've internalized about personal relationships.""





Stella presents A taste of what's coming for doctors posted at ReasonPharm, saying, "Dr. Jane Orient wisely won't take government money for her services. She knows what could happen to her if she does -- and other doctors should pay attention to the potential consequences for them."





Trey Givens presents My Temperament: ENTJ posted at Trey Givens, saying, "This post is really just a vanity trip down memory lane and a reminder that you should be listening to the Cultivating the Virtues podcast!

So, check out my post because it talks about how I was such a wonderful, darling, intelligent child. And then go listen to Cultivating the Virtues. Unless, you know, you hate babies. (I'm talking about the babies that Objectivists aren't busy eating or letting drown in the woods, of course.)"




Jenn Casey and Kelly Elmore
present Podcast #3: Why Non-Punitive Discipline? at Cultivating the Virtues, saying "Go have a listen! Podcast #4 is due out early next week."





Jenn Casey
presents Assume Positive Intent: Another View at Rational Jenn, saying "I thought of another way to explain one of my parenting principles from an Objectivist perspective. And I'm officially on my way to full certification by the Positive Discipline Association. Here is my 'Letter of Intent' in which I explain a little bit about myself, Objectivism, and why I'm committed as a parent to non-punitive discipline."


That concludes this edition. Thanks for stopping by!

Next week's host will be Erosophia. To participate, submit your blog article using our carnival submission form.

Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.







Technorati tags:

, .



No comments: