Monday, July 05, 2010

It was 5 Years Ago Today . . .

Happy Blogiversary to me!

How has blogging changed my life for the better? Let me count the ways . . .

  • My writing has improved. 
  • Being able to articulate ideas (my own original ones and the ideas of others) in writing has helped me dump bad ideas, solidify good ideas, and create new ideas. 
  • Having those ideas explicit and ready in my mind helps me live a better, happier life overall. I can work through bad things in a better way, and enjoy great things even more!
  • I understand myself better, and that's a good thing. Highly recommend that.
  • Getting all that practice in articulating ideas--especially Objectivism and Positive Discipline--has opened up so many career possibilities for the future.
  • I have connected with so many other people who share my ideas about different topics--philosophy, homeschooling, Positive Discipline, parenting, food allergies, politics, and even sense of humor. I LIKE THIS. 
  • I feel like I have created my own little network of people who add value to my life. I can turn to them with a question about a food allergy, or a musing about a homeschooling challenge, or a particular philosophical issue. We can connect here (or on Twitter or email, etc.) and discuss real ideas and make our lives BETTER.
  • And sometimes, I can connect with those folks IN REAL LIFE, too. I have learned that I'm much more social than I'd ever given myself credit for. I'm still an introvert, yes, but I want friends and experiences with people who add value to my life. And I find myself in the center of events (certainly this past weekend!) where I'm able to do just that--spend time with great people who share my values.


All because my sister suggested I start a blog. Thanks, sis!


And also because people started reading it and commenting--so thanks to you, too!

And because of my hard work. So thanks, me!

PS: I will write about MiniCon very soon--it was a huge success, no matter how you look at it. So many people told Kelly and me that they enjoyed it. The PD classes went well, and I discovered something: I enjoyed teaching them! (I wasn't sure how I'd feel about that.) The social events were fun. The kids had fun. The fireworks were fun and train-filled. Our house guests were fun. So, generally, "fun" seemed to be the consensus. Thanks to everyone who worked hard to pull this off, and to everyone who came!

4 comments:

Darren said...

Congrats!

Marlis said...

Congratulations! That is an achievement.

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

And it goes both ways--your blog has certainly enriched my life by causing me to think about the world differently. Thanks for expanding my world!

And soon I will be sending Flat Ryan home!

Kate Yoak said...

You have touched my life in completely unpredictable ways. Hmmm... Shoved is perhaps a more appropriate term. I am still staggering from the impact, insure of which way I am really heading or where I will end up. Howver, I do know that I have experienced one of the biggest shifts of my life.

For the first time since becoming a mom, I feel connected to other people, thanks to the O lists and people I have found in this blog, like Kelly, Amy and others. I have learned about the value of blogging and what makes a valuable blog. I have changed my diet and lifestyle and thanks to that transformation, have recovered my sense of life.

So, yeah, congrats! You are doing an amazing thing. Tell your sister, I said thanks! :-)