Monday, August 30, 2010

I Did It!

I relaxed and mostly didn't work on vacation! Of course, vacationing with young children is actually quite a lot of work--there's getting people in and out of swimsuits, finding towels, packing bags for the beach with toys and food and drinks, and laundry! Oh yes. The laundry.

But still! I relaxed and didn't stress or think too much about the work I wasn't getting done because I was "wasting" my time doing nothing. It's sad, because many times when I'm on vacation all I can think about is the work I'm not doing, and it's hard to shake that feeling that I'm somehow wasting time. This year, I consciously decided that my goal was to relax and have fun (laundry notwithstanding), and while I did take care of some minor issues while I was away (approving new members for OGrownups, handling an Objectivist Round Up issue, things like that), I did it! I relaxed and had fun and didn't worry about the other stuff. Go me! :o)

Some highlights from the trip:
  • Seeing our dear friend C. August and his family. It's super No Fair that they live so far away from us the rest of the year.
  • Listening to a really excellent blues guitarist outside The Froggy Dog Restaurant on our last evening .
  • The beach! Nobody was afraid of the waves this year, though Morgan and Sean needed close watching. Morgan was a little nervous (but very brave!), so preferred to have one of us near, holding her hand and jumping her up over the waves. Sean was intimidated at first, and then completely unafraid (as per his usual), and managed to even sort of enjoy getting knocked over by waves and tumbled through the sand. Ryan was pretty independent, and both he and Morgan loved the boogie board we got them. Especially Ryan.
  • Treasure Hunt Night is always fun, and the way Sean carried his little shovel on his shoulder was precious. 
  • The weather was mostly awesome, but we did have a rainstorm adventure when taking the kids to the beach on the Sound side of the island. That's okay, we were all wearing swimsuits any way, so what was a little more water? The thunder and lightning didn't start until we were almost to the car! 
  • Sitting around the pool or on the deck, talking about what's been going on in our lives over the last year.

It was a lovely time.

And now, can you believe? I'm almost done unpacking, have the third load of vacation laundry going, and am digging into my To Do List. I do have lots of energy and am eager to get back to work. We have some fun things going on with our homeschool friends (such as a pool party tomorrow!), and chess class, and Music Class with just me and Sean for the first time ever, and Cultivating the Virtues stuff with Kelly, and AOS stuff coming up, and my mother-in-law and brother-in-law coming for a visit next weekend, and naturally, we're already planning for Halloween!

What can I say? Life is good. How about you? I hope you didn't miss me too much!

No comments: