Tuesday, October 05, 2010

QotD: Mary Poppins on Positive Discipline

We watched Mary Poppins today (as you'll know if you follow me on Twitter or are a Facebook friend). My ears pricked up when I heard Mary reading down the children's advertisement for a nanny:

'Item four: you must be kind.'  I am kind, but extremely firm.

Hmmm...where have I heard this before?

Kindness is important in order to show respect for the child. Firmness is important in order to show respect for ourselves and for the needs of the situation. Authoritarian methods usually lack kindness. Permissive methods lack firmness. Kindness and firmness are essential for Positive Discipline.
 --Jane Nelsen

I'm not at all surprised that the greatest nanny every (with rosy cheeks, and no warts!) totally gets it. :o)

No comments: