I can't remember if I've mentioned our new OGrownups event here on the blog or not. We're going to chat twice a month, one Wednesday evening and one Sunday afternoon each month.
Here's the announcement I sent to the group:
Our first chat specifically for OGrownups members will be tonight at 9pm Eastern!
We'll be using the OList Chat Room, which Diana set up and is currently being used for the OList Happy Hour and OList Brunch on Sundays. (Specific information about how to join the chat has been posted to the OGrownups list.)
All members of OGrownups are welcome to join us--and members of other Olists, too, now that I think about it.
Tonight's topic will be Children's Books and Movies. Let's talk about specific movie and book suggestions . . .
- What are your family's favorite books and movies?
- Do you/your kids prefer fiction or non-fiction?
- Which ones do you think especially resonate with or reinforce Objectivist virtues and values?
- Which ones illustrate the polar opposite of Objectivist virtues and values?
. . . and parenting issues, too.
- How do you talk to your kids about magical or religious elements found in books and movies, such as The Lord of the Rings or the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis? (Or is this a non-issue?)
- What do you do when your child receives a movie or book as a gift that is antithetical to your values? Have you banned any specific book or series from your house?
- Do you do read-alouds with your kids, and if so, how long did that practice continue (did you stop when they were small, or are you still enjoying this with your older kids and teens)?
- Do you watch movies with your kids regularly (such as a Family Movie Night that Amy describes)?
These are all just suggestions. The chats I've participated in tend to wander off in all kinds of directions, which is to be expected.
Please email me if you have any questions or suggestions. If you can't make tomorrow's chat, don't despair! Our second chat will be on Sunday, January 30 at 4pm!