Friday, February 25, 2011

It's Georgie's Birthday

Today is George Harrison's birthday (he would have been 68).

If he were here right now, I'd try to tell him just how much his music (and other creative work) has meant to me over my life:

  • How Brendan and I always crank up the volume when "Taxman" comes on. ("Should five percent appear too small/Be thankful I don't take it all")
  • How I danced all over the living room to "What is Life" after seeing my very first positive pregnancy test.
  • How, after many stressful days trying to get that first baby out of NICU, after days and days in which we listened to no music at all because there could be no music in our lives until we knew he was safe, I finally held him in my arms in our hospital room and Brendan put on "Here Comes the Sun." There was never a more perfect song to capture a moment ever. Anywhere.
  • How we made sure that our other two babies heard "Here Comes the Sun" first. That song is the first music our babies ever heard.


Somehow, George's music is always there in the important moments of our lives. And now that spring is here in Georgia (yes, my daffodils are up!), we've been singing our favorite springtime song quite a bit.

Here comes the sun
Here comes the sun
And I say it's all right

Little darling
It's been a long, cold lonely winter
Little darling
It seems like years since it's been here

Here comes the sun
Here comes the sun
And I say it's all right

Little darling
The smiles returning to the faces
Little darling
It seems like years since it's been here

Here comes the sun
Here comes the sun
And I say it's all right

Sun sun sun here it comes
Sun sun sun here it comes
Sun sun sun here it comes
Sun sun sun here it comes
Sun sun sun here it comes

Little darling
I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling
It seems like years since it's been clear



Check out the Concert for George! They're streaming it all day long for free today in honor of George's birthday. It's a tribute concert put on by his friends (Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, etc.) and was originally aired on November 29, 2002, the first anniversary of George's death. Brendan and I have seen it, and it's pretty good (just skip over all the sitar music!).

UPDATE: Also, if you're curious about my choice of title for this post (and this other post, too), it was deliberate and George-related. See All Things Must Pass

1 comment:

Judy Aron said...

Check out your award!
http://yedies.blogspot.com/2011/02/cotg-gets-stylish-blogger-award.html