- Totally punted the things I'd planned to do so we could go out of town on two days' notice.
- Brendan turned 40 on Tuesday!
- Drove 6-8 hours in the car for FOUR. STRAIGHT. DAYS. to Chicago and back. It went like this: Wednesday--drive to Kentucky; Thursday--drive to Chicago, attend the wake; Friday--funeral, drive to Louisville; Saturday, drive home.
- Discovered a town called Horse Cave, Kentucky.
- Went to the wake and visited with my in-laws.
- Managed a pretty big freak-out by Ryan about the wake and the religious service that kicked it off. :/
- Woke up the morning of the funeral to Morgan tapping me on the shoulder to tell me she'd puked.
- Stayed home from the funeral to help Morgan deal with Pukinson's Disease. The boys stayed with me, meaning that Brendan went to yet another family funeral without me. :(
- Friday night's rest at the hotel was interrupted by a screaming Sean who seemed to be getting a cold (he's fine now, how strange is that? fastest cold ever!). He completely freaked out for about 20-30 minutes, then passed out. I don't know about you, but I have a hard time falling asleep after the adrenaline rush of being awakened by a screaming kid. Also, he managed to fall off the hotel bed the next morning (he's okay).
- The reason we rushed home was that I had a big surprise planned for Brendan's birthday on Saturday. Considering his birthday week began with the death of his grandfather, I was DETERMINED that something fun should happen. So Saturday night, hours after arriving home (with his mom, stepdad, and younger brother who had caravanned with us from Chicago, and his older brother who flew from Chicago), we headed to dinner with many, many friends, and The Hackensaw Boys concert! It really was very very much fun, and I stayed up WAY past my bedtime.
- Yesterday, we got a late start in the morning, visited with one brother-in-law before he had to go to the airport, went to lunch, and then everyone else took the kids to play mini-golf and I went to the grocery store for much-needed supplies. We had a cookout in the evening, and then everyone left today.
Actually, it wouldn't have even been that crazy except there is no rest for the weary this week because:
ATLOSCon 2011 starts in just a few days!
Can you believe it? The festivities start Thursday night, and I still have SO much to do to get things organized in time. In addition to the three talks I'm personally doing (two of them teamed up with Kelly and one solo), we are managing some of the technical aspects of the conference (projectors and video), hosting Kid Central at our house on the days of the classes as well as house guests, and I'm sure I'll be doing some last-minute whatever-needs-doing kinds of stuff, too.
I am so excited about our second conference! It'll be bigger and better this year, and I'm so looking forward to seeing old friends, meeting some new people, listening to the interesting talks, giving my own talks, partying, talking, laughing, and hanging out with people who share my passion for the ideas of Ayn Rand!
I can't wait, even though I know it'll be exhausting, it'll be exhausting in a good kind of way. In the meantime, I'd better get rocking on my to-do list!