Friday, May 06, 2011

Five Star Challenge: Round Three!

So today, it's five things I'm grateful for. Grateful is "warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness or benefits received."

Just so you know, there are way more than only five things for which I'm grateful. Here are some at the top of the list, in no particular order:


1. A husband and friends and family who make me laugh and think.

Two things I very much value, laughing and thinking, are a whole lot more fun with my favorite people. I am so happy to know so many awesome people--some I've known for years and years, some I'm just really getting to know (I'm looking at YOU, homeschool co-op!).

Because even though laughing and thinking can of course be done on my own, it's so much more fun to do in the company of wonderful, thoughtful, amusing, awesome people who share my values and interests!


2. Ayn Rand

Without her ideas, I would be a much different person today. More neurotic (no, really!), unhappier, less efficacious.

That's it, plain and simple. I could go on and on, but it would take up too much room here on the blog to explain all of the ways in which Objectivism has enriched my life in any kind of detail.

But it's true. And I mean it.


3. Technology

I love technology! I love using it to make my life easier and to connect with people (like you!). To name a few examples:


  • I love electricity and electric lights. I can (and do) stay awake at all hours of the night and can be productive even. 
  • I love computers and the internets. I write on this here blog and use Twitter and Facebook to talk to people I care about who have the absolute nerve not to live only 5 minutes away from me.
  • I love the fact that I had three c-sections and my babies and I came out just fine on the other side.
  • I also love that there are antibiotics and medicines that I can (and do) use all the time. My family does, too. A special shout out to the peopleguys who make Armour Thyroid (me) and Humalog (Brendan) and Epi-pens and Benadryl (Ryan).
  • I love having cars and airplanes so I can travel to see all of the people who have the absolute nerve not to live only 5 minutes away from me (you know who you are! I'm looking at you RIGHT NOW so go ahead and hang your head in shame).
Technology. Use it. Love it. Grateful for it. 

Also, I'm grateful that I don't have to, you know, invent all this stuff either.



4. Quiet moments with my kids.

Those of you who know my kids in real life are probably thinking Huh? Does that ever even happen?

And with good reason. :D But yes, we do have quiet moments, and I do appreciate them all the more because they are relatively rare. Sometimes, we'll all be hanging out in the afternoon, focused on our own pursuits, and though there may be a little background noise (Sean is a singer), the atmosphere is calm and serene. And quiet.

In those moments, I make sure to stop what I'm doing and notice what they're doing. If I close my eyes right now, I can picture each one: Ryan is constructing a battlefield or has his nose in a book; Morgan will be standing on her head on the couch playing a video game, or she is surrounded by a zillion stuffed dogs; Sean is making his train go up and down and up and down and up and down a particular bridge. I love watching their faces in concentration, figuring something out, creating something.

In those precious quiet moments, everyone is doing their work, pursuing their values. Together, yet apart. A group of individuals. Oh, I could drink them in, those moments.


5. Homeschooling

I am so so so glad that Brendan and I have been able to swing things so that our kids are not in school. I am super grateful to those homeschoolers who had to struggle with legal issues in the past so that I don't have to (yet?). I truly think that this is one of the greatest things we can do for our family, and I'm super happy that we are able to do it.


What are you grateful for?

No comments: