Thursday, May 05, 2011

Five Star Challenge: Round Two!

Okay, so I think I really will try to keep up and post for five days in a row here. Yesterday, you got to hear about the things I love about myself. Today, you will find out Things My Body Can Do. :D

I know Kelly already wrote her post, but I didn't read it yet. I wonder if we'll have some similar things on the list. I don't see Mel's post but when she puts it up, I'll link it. Who else is participating?


1. I'm bendy.

I am, and pretty much always have been, pretty darn flexible. General flexibility was one of the few things I was good at early on in CrossFit (whereas I'm still struggling for consistent double-unders). I can squat all the way down and stay there while flat on my heels. I have a decent (though not all-the-way) side split. Even at my heaviest, I could always touch my toes.

I don't know if it's all of those years of gymnastics, or some kind of natural bendiness, or maybe the relaxin still floating around in my system (or a combo?), but I'm bendy. Actually, it might be another Super Power. And yes, go where you want to with that information. :)


2. I have freaky monkey-toes.

I never really thought this was special until Kelly convinced me that I'm a freak, but I have tons of dexterity in my toes. More than the usual, I guess. I can grab things off the floor with them. I can cross my pinky over the toe next to it without using my hands. I can put on my Vibrams Five Fingers by just splaying out my toes and sticking them into the shoes.

Can't everyone do that? I thought. Apparently not.


3. I grew and nourished three babies.

Sure, this is something many women can do and have done. But it's still an awesome, awesome thing to have done! I was never one of those women who truly enjoyed being pregnant like some do. I viewed the whole thing as a personal biology/medical experiment. But each time, it was an interesting experience.

The youngest one is still nursing (yes, he's nearing three). Even though I am not fully supporting his growth and health the way I did when he was very very small, he is still getting some of the good stuff.

Bonus thing I'm really BAD at: birthing them. Hooray for safe c-sections!


4. I can lift heavy stuff.

I am stronger today than I ever imagined I could possibly be. I deadlifted 175 pounds last Saturday, for pete's sake! That is something I had never even considered a year ago. The last back squat I did was 125 pounds. A 35 pound kettlebell is nothing to me, nothing!

The cool thing is that I am learning that I will only get STRONGER. And more Bad-Ass. Because one day I WILL get an unassisted pull up (like Lynne, woohoo!). After that, can you even imagine what wonders await me?


5. I'm handy.

No, not in the handy-around-the-house sense. In the I-can-do-stuff-with-my-hands sense.

I have never been particularly artsy or crafty, but I can play three instruments fairly well (piano, flute, and fyfe). In fact, I have a ten-key reach on the piano. Maybe that freaky monkey-toe dexterity is also freaky money-finger dexterity? Hmmm...

Never had any trouble with projects requiring fine-motor skills in my hands (unless it also required, you know, some kind of visual artistic ability, too). I'm finding this to be true as I am learning knitting, too. There's not really any artistic creativity in knitting (thank goodness!), but it does require a fair amount of manual dexterity and even though I'm still new, I am picking it up quickly and really enjoy working with my hands.


So there you have it! What's on your list?

2 comments:

Kelly Elmore said...

The not being able to birth babies is clearly Ryan's fault. It wasn't you who went into distress and aspirated meconium. Blame him.

Arwen said...

I just started participating today.
http://www.renaissance-woman.net/2011/05/five-star-challenge.html