Thursday, August 11, 2011

Objectivist Round Up #213


Welcome to the August 11, 2011 edition of the Objectivist Round Up! We've got a great group of Objectivist bloggers who contribute to this weekly blog carnival. We write about all kinds of topics (check out this week's first post!), which makes for an interesting selection, I think.

Things have been stressful for the last week, and I must confess to letting things get me down a bit. But I've rallied (unlike the markets, sadly). Because I can't not fight. I can't not live my life and make the best of it I possibly can. I can't not try to be happy. There is something inside me that will not surrender easily. I guess I've got a touch of the Benevolent Universe Premise (emphasis added):

There is a fundamental conviction which some people never acquire, some hold only in their youth, and a few hold to the end of their days—the conviction that ideas matter . . . . That ideas matter means that knowledge matters, that truth matters, that one’s mind matters . . . . 
Its consequence is the inability to believe in the power or the triumph of evil. No matter what corruption one observes in one’s immediate background, one is unable to accept it as normal, permanent or metaphysically right. One feels: “This injustice (or terror or falsehood or frustration or pain or agony) is the exception in life, not the rule.” One feels certain that somewhere on earth—even if not anywhere in one’s surroundings or within one’s reach—a proper, human way of life is possible to human beings, and justice matters.

Ayn Rand, “The Inexplicable Personal Alchemy,” Return of the Primitive: The Anti-Industrial Revolution, 122.

Yes, I truly believe this. That a proper, human way of life is possible, and as long as I believe that, I have to try to make it happen. Who's with me?


And now, on to the Round Up! Read. Think. Enjoy. (And tell your friends!)


Kate Yoak presents Domestic nudity posted at Parenting is..., saying, "Nudity is such a controversial issue. Is it ok? In the streets? At home? Between siblings? The simple answer is: mind your own business, be considerate and do what feels natural."



Benjamin Skipper presents Chocolate Review: Vosges' 62% Bacon posted at Musing Aloud, saying, "Yes, it's not intellectual writing, but I wanted to post it since it's my first review with homemade photography, which means another new years' resolution has been completed and my reviews are taken to the next level. I'm proud of where I'm going in my self-improvement."



Tony White presents Post 3: Repaying a Teacher: Peikoff’s Horizontal Additions to the Objectivist World View posted at Peripatetic Thoughts, saying, "A discussion of what I consider to be the four major new ideas, concepts, or perspectives that Leonard Peikoff added to Ayn Rand's world view."



C.W. presents Debt, Ceiling, and The Issue posted at Krazy Economy, saying, "My thoughts on the recent events on the debt, etc. Why all the fuss? What is the consequence of the downgrade. What good is this to us?"



C. August presents Christina Romer: Old Dog, Old Tricks posted at Titanic Deck Chairs, saying, "Christina Romer talks to Bill Maher about some regrets she has about her time in the administration. Think she's finally figured out Keynes wasn't all he's cracked up to be?"



David Masten presents What is the Essence of Being? posted at Blazing Truth, saying, "...exploring the experience of "spiritual feelings", and emotional convictions associated with mysticism. A brief analysis of Heidegger's Phenomenology, Pirsig's Metaphysics of Quality, and Wilber's Integral Theory."



Benjamin Skipper presents Don't Be So Depressing posted at Musing Aloud, saying, "Times are bad, but I view the worst thing to be how people are *unconstructively* negative about it. Resolve is important to keeping up the will to fight, and I view this kind of talk as very harmful.

Life is worth living and fighting for. Let's remember that, always."



Julia Campbell presents carnitas posted at the crankin' kitchen!, saying, "Crispy and moist chunks of pork. Drool."



John Drake presents Education bubble? I don't think so. posted at Try Reason!, saying, "Lately, a number of people have been claiming we are in an education bubble. While there is certainly a large expansion in college costs, this may not be indicative of a bubble. In this post, I explain why I think so."



Miranda Barzey presents Awesome Sauce Magazine posted at Building Atlantis, saying, "I'm starting a new project to help promote a youth culture in Objectivism and attract more young adults interested in rational ideas. Please check it out and spread the word. It's going to be amazing!"



Toby Selwyn presents The Beauty of Trade posted at One for One, saying, "Why "no man is an island" is not an argument against Objectivism."



Kelly Elmore presents When Effective Communication Fails posted at Reepicheep's Coracle, saying, "This post answers the question: What do I do when I try to use effective communication but the person I'm communicating with won't or can't? It's the first in a series of three posts that deal with the tool "Decide What You Will Do," which focuses on controlling yourself and knowing that you can't control others."



Benjamin Skipper presents My Next Major Endeavor: The Galt's Gulch Project posted at Musing Aloud, saying, "I've been thinking about what I'm going to do to survive a worsening economy, and I've not only come up with a practical solution, I've come up with an endeavor that's relevant and productive towards my ultimate happiness, dreams, and purpose in life. I may live in poverty, but if successful I'll be wealthy in spirit.

I call it the Galt's Gulch project because I noticed there are a lot of parallels between this endeavor and the valley of producers seen in Atlas Shrugged, despite my not intending for it or even thinking about it, so I cannot see any more fitting name than this.

It's going to be a small-scale and very private pursuit, but hey: Hardworking and hungry shruggers welcome."



Diana Hsieh presents NoodleCast #90: Live Rationally Selfish Webcast posted at NoodleFood, saying, "In Sunday's Rationally Selfish Webcast, I answered questions on introspection, JK Rowling's welfare payments, ignoring current news and politics, meeting estranged former friends, and more. Go listen... and join us on Sunday morning for another episode!"



Paul Hsieh presents Don’t Shoot the Downgrade Messenger posted at We Stand FIRM, saying, "My latest PajamasMedia OpEd discusses the disturbing trend by the White House and its allies in Congress to "blame the messenger" for any politically awkward news."



Santiago and Kelly Valenzuela presents Farmers Rally to Fight Republican Immigration Bill posted at Mother of Exiles, saying, "Farmers rally together to fight a Republican immigration bill that is certain to push food costs even higher, if not leave produce rotting on the ground. And jobless native-born Americans don't want the job."



Santiago and Kelly Valenzuela presents Tanton-esque Cronies Come Out of the Woodwork posted at Mother of Exiles, saying, "Donald Arthur “D.A.” King is an activist and hateful racist making big moves in Georgia. Help us fight him!"



Jenn Casey and Kelly Elmore present Podcast #18: Living an Adult-Centered vs a Child-Centered Life at Cultivating the Virtues, saying "This is our latest podcast episode! Give it a listen, and please send us comments and questions!"



Gene Palmisano presents Misnomer of the Day posted at The Metaphysical Lunch, saying, "More insanity from the left. Visit me at The Anecdotal Objectivist"



Rob Abiera presents For the Tea Party posted at The Morality War, saying, "My statement regarding assertions that coverage of the Tea Party should be censored."



Jenn Casey presents Time Travel Tuesday: This will be Funny One Day, Right? RIGHT?!?!?!? at Rational Jenn, saying "Sometimes, it's laugh or cry, and it's much easier to laugh when I've handled a parenting situation according to my principles."



David C Lewis, RFA presents Money Market Accounts vs. Certificates of Deposit | Twin Tier Financial posted at A Revolution In Financial Planning, saying, "What's the difference between a bank CD and a money market account? I answer a question from cyberspace."



Atul Kapur presents Why I like Daphnis and Chloe posted at Wit Lab, saying, "Why Daphnis and Chloe by Louis Hersent is one of my favorite paintings: this was the topic of my recent guest-post at One Objectivist's Art Object of the Day."




That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of the Objectivist Round Up  using our carnival submission form. Parenting Is. . . will be next week's host.


Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.



Technorati tags:

, .