Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The One About Thanksgiving Dinner

Now that the leftovers are finally gone, I'll commemorate this year's (mostly) paleo Thanksgiving menu in pictures.

First, the stuffed turkey breast. I managed to take a couple of pictures while I was putting it together. Let me just say that taking the bones out was an enormous pain, and next time I'll probably have a butcher do it.

Here's what it looked like after I took the bones out, butterflied it, put on a layer of prosciutto, and then added wilted spinach with butter, scallions, and garlic. It was a six pound breast, so it was pretty ginormous.

In the past, I've used just plain sage or sprigs of rosemary in the middle, and that's worked out well, too. Before we rolled it up, I sprinkled sea salt and black pepper over the spinach mixture.

There it is, all rolled up and snug in the pan, tied up with string on both ends. We couldn't remember if we generally tied the string on before the layer of pancetta, or after. I don't think it matters as long as you remember that it IS tied up with something before you start cutting it open. One year, we lacked string and held the thing together with bamboo skewers. It looked FREAKY--but it worked!

Next, the layer of pancetta, which usually opens up into strips like bacon. But this year, they wanted to stay together in circles, so it looks a little crazy.

I added a little black pepper to the top and then put it in the oven, for about 90 minutes at 375 (I think). We used a meat thermometer to tell us when it was done.

Here's what it looked like after we cut it open:


Our side dishes were sweet potatoes ala LB and SB and prosciutto-wrapped asparagus ala Paleo Comfort Foods and sausage stuffing ala me.

Our sweet potato hash browns were actually more like sweet potato home fries (we did that on purpose):

Just coconut oil and cinnamon on them. I've been eating the leftovers as post-CrossFit snacks the whole week.

The asparagus disappeared quickly:

This was my best batch of sausage stuffing yet:

This time, we slow-roasted the potatoes and fennel with olive oil and balsamic vinegar first. Then added the browned sausage and mushrooms sauteed in butter. A bonus this time--chunks of bacon and a huge spoonful or two of bacon grease. The flavors blended well and I got lots of compliments from our guest who had never tried it before. Next time we'll lose the potatoes since we all agreed they don't add too much except extra carbage. I'll make up the volume with another pound of sausage!

And here's the whole thing put together, with one of my grandmother's rolls made from scratch (so, mostly paleo, not truly paleo!):

Beautiful gorgeous Thanksgiving dinner and really good leftovers, too!

1 comment:

bofroggy said...

That looks SOOOO good! All of it! Next year, I'm coming to your house for Thanksgiving! :)