Here's the announcement we just sent out to our group:
ATLOSCon 2012 Request for Speaker Proposals!
We at the Atlanta Objectivist Society (ATLOS) are working hard on preparations for our third regional conference to be held May 24-27, 2012 in the Atlanta area. Our first two conferences set the bar pretty high for an enjoyable combination of social events and interesting presentations. And this year, we are striving to do even better.
If you are interested in becoming an ATLOSCon Speaker, please read the following carefully (and note the deadlines!).
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- A wide-range of topics--philosophy, art, science, cooking, fly-fishing, whatever you are passionate about!
- Knowledgeable speakers who are passionate about their topics--many of our best speakers the last two years did not have official credentials, but they knew their subjects well and presented them with flair. And we love our credentialed speakers as well!
- Interactive presentations--we love to get our audiences really involved in the presentations (and their feedback shows that they love it too!), so discussion groups, panel-led presentations, interactive exercises, demonstrations, and tours are all very much encouraged.
The proposals are due by February 1! Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposals should follow the following format and be no more than one page long (<--NOT optional!! Don’t make us send it back to you for a revision! Kelly is an English instructor and is very practiced at that!):
- Working Title for your presentation
- Which format (discussion, interactive, lecture, etc) your presentation will be in and why
- A ONE PARAGRAPH summary of your topic and a few of the main points you plan to cover--this does not have to be a long detailed outline of every point, just give us a good idea of what your topic will be about
- A brief biography, including why you are interested in this topic and prior speaking experience if applicable (note: not having tons of speaking experience will not automatically disqualify you from speaking--we are planning speaker support sessions after we’ve selected the speakers, and this will help us know how much and which types of support we can plan to provide)
We will make decisions about the presentations by mid-February. We are anticipating that we will receive more proposals than we can accommodate at the conference, so there are no guarantees that your proposal will be accepted. But hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? And, maybe, just maybe, you will be one of the chosen: the few, the proud, the unpaid but much beloved!
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
ATLOSCon is our Objectivist club’s primary fundraiser and is strictly a volunteer-run conference. It helps to fund activism, social events to connect Objectivists, and educational experiences. But never fear! That doesn’t mean we rely on altruism! There are many selfish reasons to participate as a speaker. Speaking at a regional mini-conference means:
- Getting some great speaking experience (and a resume/CV line!)
- Sharing your area of interest with others who might love it, too
- Meeting and hanging out with like-minded people
- Doing your part to change the culture
- Supporting an active and vibrant community Objectivist group
- Fighting for the future while doing something to create the world you want TODAY
- Becoming famous! (well, maybe just a little)
Looking forward to your proposals! Don’t forget to get them in by FEBRUARY 1!
This is going to be FUN! :D
--Kelly and Jenn and all of the ATLOS Peopleguys