Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Goals for 2012

Today we're finally back to our usual routine. Brendan's off at work, and the kids and I need to start really really getting the house back together. But first, coffee! And blogging.

So, we have some big hairy audacious goals for 2012!

House


  • The biggest goal of 2012 is to buy a new home, move into it, and then fix up and sell our current home. This is nerve-wracking in ever so many ways. The process of looking for a new home, which has begun in earnest, is enormous and time-consuming. Moving? I can barely contemplate it without developing sweaty palms and likely a deer-in-the-headlights expression on my face. And then living with two mortgages until we sell this house (it is a buyer's market, which is great for this plan on the front end, but not so much at the other end). . . I'm pretty sure we can survive this, but will I still have my sense of humor when it's over? Only time will tell.
  • At the end of this process, whether it takes 6 months or 24, we will have improved our living situation and our financial situation all at the same time. The final piece of our big financial overhaul will be completed. Keeping this in mind helps with the stress. When this is over, we are going to be in better shape than ever!



Family

  • Our first big family goal is to get a dog! Which will need to wait until at least June for various reasons (including the reason listed below), and ideally, until we move into our new house. But yes, a dog. I've been researching this semi-regularly for the last few months, and I'm leaning toward golden retrievers (and mixes), labs (and mixes), and possibly poodles (and mixes). I love love love golden doodles, but they are kind of pricey. There's a golden retriever rescue here in town, so that's an option, too. The very first step: I need to go to the allergist get another skin prick test for dog--years ago, I came up positive for dog, but it was pretty low. And I know that dog was included in my serum for immunotherapy, which I completed about five years ago, so I'm probably good. But I want to make double-sure.
  • Our family vacation this year, house- and finances-willing, will be a road trip up to New England for Patriots' Day so we can watch the reenactment of the Battles of Lexington and Concord up in Boston. Ryan's 10th (TENTH!) birthday is April 18, which, as you will recall, is the date of Paul Revere's famous ride, and of course the battles happened on the 19th. We've talked for YEARS about going up to watch this, and we think this should be the year to make it happen. We'll visit my parents in DC on the way there or back, and we definitely want to see Mystic, Connecticut and Williamsburg, Virginia at some point during the trip, too. So you see why I don't want to get a dog until after we're home from this journey.


Homeschooling

  • We need to do more field trips and really really start up some Peopleguy Tours. This might be the year!
  • I also want to try making audiobooks part of our driving experience. I'm not sure how that will go over with everyone, but I want to try.
  • As part of the decluttering process, I will be teaching Ryan how to sell our stuff (pre-approved by me, of course) on eBay. In exchange for his work (I'm envisioning he can learn to do the whole thing, including taking pictures), he'll get a cut of the proceeds. This will help our financial and decluttering goals as well as give him some good job experience.
  • The older kids will do the Science Fair again if there is one, and keep going to homeschool co-op classes and all of our usual stuff.


Health and Fitness

  • I'm incorporating regular sprints into my weekly routine as well as semi-regular longer (2-3 mile) runs. This came about because I noticed that whenever I do a bit more running, my weight seems to drop again, and through discussions about this observation with friends and my CrossFit coach, I developed this plan. I'm going to try it for a few months at least and see where it gets me. 
  • I started this already, and ran in a 5K race on January 1. My main goal for this race was to run at a pace where I didn't hate myself and the world. So whenever I started feeling the pressure to keep up with other people and started going faster than I really wanted to, I remembered to slow down and just go at a nice enjoyable pace. And you know what? That was actually fun! And you know what else? I beat my previous record by 35 seconds and finished the race at 35:22! I hope that the last 5K I run in 2012 has an even better time. It should if this sprinting business works the way it's supposed to.
  • Even before I came up with this new running/sprinting idea, I'd already decided to sign up for as many Kennesaw Grand Prix 5K races as I could (they don't have the 2012 schedule up yet I see). And this will fit in nicely with my new running plan. 
  • Two CrossFit-related goals--well, three maybe. I am trying to work on increasing my weights for the workouts to the prescribed weights for women. I can do Fran with the RX weight, for example, but not other workouts. This is a long-term goal--I have no clue if it's really even feasible for me to get there in 2012. But I'm okay with that. I'm content to see how long it takes me to get there because I'm pretty confident that I can get there. There are some things I won't ever do probably--muscle-ups or climbing the gym rope (I'm scared to death of that). But I can get mostly there. And I might even get a pull up this year. Who knows?
  • The other CF goal is to maybe, maybe try a scaled/non-whippersnapper (aka "Masters") local competition, just for fun. And to that end, I might be joining our gym in pursuing a different training program geared toward getting people prepped for competition. They swear regular, non-super-athlete people can do it, too, so we'll see. I'm willing to give it a try at least. :D
  • Diet, of course, is the main factor in weight loss (I really don't have all that much to go, I don't think), and I've already started my post-holiday tightening up of my diet. I really felt AWFUL the day after Christmas, after eating the most amount of crap in a 24 hour period since I started this whole thing in earnest over two years ago. So that was an experience I am glad of. Eating crap = feeling like crap!
  • I'm going to get my body fat percentage tested in a big old water tank thingy at the end of January, so that should be, uh, interesting.
  • I will likely give up dairy at some point, maybe after the body fat testing thing, just to see what that does.
  • And the MAIN thing I'm going to do for my health and fitness: continue to beat down the Perfectionism Monster! I cannot honestly explain how much it continues to plague me, and also how far I've come in conquering it. I need to keep in mind all of the accomplishments I've already done and my context, too--I have a (controlled, but still) thyroid thing. I am at the tail end of weaning Sean, so that is probably doing some interesting hormonal things to my body. I am 41. I am doing the best I can and I have seen results and so the Perfectionism Monster can go suck it.


ATLOS

  • Get a new lawyer and get our paperwork in. I dropped the ball on this (well, our lawyer did, and then I did) and I don't want to let my ATLOS peeps down.
  • ATLOSCon 2012! We don't have an official tagline for this one yet, but my current favorite is: We're Badass and We Know It.
  • Lead a study group for the new transcript of Peikoff's Understanding Objectivism, which is coming out in March. I really really want to do this. 
  • Keep the hiking group going, and other Optional Value Groups
  • Generally keep going as the best community Objectivist group in the country!


Cultivating the Virtues


  • Continue plugging away at producing podcasts when Kelly and I have the time. This is so hard because we are both passionate about this project, but our other passions have a tendency to suck up our time. But we'll work on it, likely in the summer when we both will have some extra time. We each have other CtV/Positive Discipline related non-parenting career goals, too. That might sound strange, but we have nothing if not tons of ideas for the future!


Cabin

  • Take down the Christmas decorations in January 2012.
  • Decide whether or not to sell the cabin and use that money for other financial goals.


Miscellaneous

  • Have a Messy Party this year, because we didn't have one last year and that made us all sad.
  • Go to the beach this year, because we didn't go to one last year and that made us all sad.
  • Take more pictures of the kids with the real camera, because we hardly took any last year, and that made me sad.
  • File our personal and business taxes before April 15, because needing an extension and filing in October makes me sad.
  • Spend lots of time with our wonderful friends and family, because we did that a lot last year and that made us all happy.
  • Keep knitting, because that helps me stay out of the kitchen at night and not eat stuff I shouldn't be eating, and because I'm getting good at it, and because it makes me happy. This year I'm going to learn cables!


That's a huge ambitious list! And I'll probably add more to it as I think of it. I love having so many big goals--it makes me feel ALIVE and productive and it's really way more interesting than having no goals at all. I have a wonderful life full of good work and good friends and a great family, and basically, I pretty much want to continue on this path forever.

3 comments:

Chris Terry said...

Yay 2012! Any ideas on ATLOSCon dates? I had to miss last year's since it was during my son's 1st birthday.

Jenn Casey said...

Yes, ATLOSCon 2012 will be over Memorial Day Weekend again, with activities planned for May 24-28. We hope to see you there, or at another ATLOS event (I know it's hard to get out with a little one at home and a new one on the way).

Gaia said...

Great goals! If you would like any advice on picking a dog and/or training, etc let me know. I'm not a professional but it's a passion I've had some success at...