Thursday, July 05, 2012

You Say It's Your . . . Blogiversary!

Happy Blogiversary to me! This blog is 7 years old today!!

That's one kid, one cat, one house, a couple of cars, and a few computers ago. I just checked the July 5 entry in Wikipedia, and this anniversary still has, alas, not been entered as the noteworthy historical event that it was, but I am very confident that it will be someday.

The blog has been a noteworthy event in my life, for without it, I would not have been able to meet, online and in person, so many wonderful, wonderful people, many of whom I now consider friends. I've shared my ideas, passions, humor, and really honed my writing skills (though I do write for a blog audience, I am capable of writing more formally, too). The blog has been a gateway to my values, and a value in itself.

I've been neglecting it lately, partly due to some legitimate unusual craziness here in 3D Land (aka "OMG The Houses Saga"), but also partly because the role of blogging in my life is changing.

Seven years ago, the blog was my primary contact with those who shared (and opposed) my ideas about parenting and Objectivism and homeschooling and food allergies and internet quizzes. Comment threads were lengthy and I returned often to them and engaged my readers in arguments witty banter (hopefully somewhat fruitful) discussions. And I participated in comment threads regularly on the blogs I followed most closely, too.

I don't know about you, but I find that I am engaging with people less often in the blogosphere. Facebook and Twitter (be my friend! follow me!) are the primary places where I "talk" to people on the internet. Both platforms have their pros and cons, but in my opinion both are also more efficient and convenient methods of interacting with others than the blog is. And I'm all about efficiency and convenience!

I'm currently thinking over what I want to do with the blog. I am not ready to give it up altogether, not by a long shot. But I am trying to figure out where I want to go with it in the future. For the time being, I suspect I'll continue my slower posting schedule, and keep up with my Twitter/FB stuff, too. I do have more parenting things to write about (though this is becoming a bit trickier as my kids age), and I want to continue to record my personal milestones (255# deadlift!) and the kid milestones, too. I love to read old posts about the kids and remember what those good old days were like, and I hope that one day they will enjoy reading them, too.

Today, though, I'm celebrating seven fun successful years doing a hobby that I have truly enjoyed. I am happy to be here, and happy to have met so many wonderful amazing people. I do love it when you stop by and say hello (either here or on Twitter and FB or hey, even in 3D Land!), so please do.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: