Thursday, January 24, 2013

The One About CrossFit Kids

I am excited to announce that I have been, in my spare time, developing a CrossFit Kids program at CrossFit Kennesaw!

After I wrapped up my certification classes last fall, Chris (CFK owner and coach extraordinaire) and I started talking seriously about a Kids program. It's something we've discussed here and there in passing over the last couple of years, but we got pretty seriously on the plan almost as soon as I'd finished the certification course in October.

I had some trepidation about it, but here's the thing. I'm braver than I used to be, more resilient, eager to take on challenges, and less afraid to screw up. And CrossFit has a lot to do with this. So when this new challenge presented itself, how on earth could I not even give it a try?

Mostly I was concerned that it would be difficult to fit into my schedule and I was also nervous about my ability to coach. Sure, I've taught lots of things to adults and kids alike, but still. So far, the schedule we've come up with seems to be working just fine, and I think I could handle another class or two a week possibly.

I'm doing fine at coaching, yay! In fact, each class is kind of mostly awesome fun for 30 straight minutes. I've made some mistakes, sure, but like Anne Shirley, "I never make the same mistake twice." (Well, not often anyway.)

What I lacked in direct coaching experience, I think I made up for with all of my experience creating businesses and departments and work processes and marketing plans from scratch. Not to mention, I do have a fair bit of practice interacting with kids between the ages of 5 and 12, the very exact ages of the initial population of athletes in our Kids program.

Also, CrossFit is a big passion of mine, and I'd already learned a lot about coaching, both in and out of class. I was eager to try out some of the things I'd practiced and read about, and see if I could share this passion with others.

And not least -- I have always, ALWAYS tried to keep up with work skills that are directly transferrable to "real" jobs. I have a great job right now. I'm a homeschooling mom. But that's a job with an expiration date, and I have been determined from the outset that I will not be left wondering what to do with myself when the kids are self-sufficient and, hopefully, out of my house. So creating this program is the perfect opportunity to keep those skills sharp, while offering me the flexibility to bring the kids with me (in fact, Ryan and Morgan are students in the class).

The classes have been great fun. The kids are engaged, and hilarious, and definitely always keep me on my toes. And that's pretty much how I like all kids to be. I'm enjoying the challenge of keeping the classes interesting while also balancing the need to review the skills and teach them how to do them well. I expect this is something I'll get better at over time. I'm spending a lot of my free time watching videos online and getting ideas for fun group games to play.

Chris and I are so far pretty much exactly on the same page with our vision and goals for the program, and I am grateful to him not only for the chance to try this out, but for the trust he has shown in me, as he has been giving me pretty wide latitude over the specifics of the program. It's especially awesome that I think we both feel comfortable being straight up and honest with each other. It helps that we've known each other a couple of years and, of course, that we're both pretty awesome people.

We both have TONS of ideas for the future, how to grow the program and keep it fresh and interesting at the same time, while integrating it into the larger community that exists at CF Kennesaw. Our biggest challenge now is to keep things going at a pace we can handle and to grow the program in a smart way.

So that's been my big adventure since mid-November! I'd like to blog about the experience some more in the future -- what running a class is like, challenges, how Positive Discipline fits in with running such a class, what I'm learning, creating and executing a business plan such as this. And I'll do that, just as soon as I can.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about our program, drop me a line. You can find me here, on FB, or email me. Because I have an official email address now. :D

4 comments:

Lynne said...

Congratulations! This sounds like such an excellent fit for you! I'm only a little jealous.

Jenn Casey said...

Thanks, Lynne! I am having a great time. What's funny to me is that I find I use the kid cues to improve my own form during my workouts. I'll have to teach you some of them, maybe this summer!

Katie Davis said...

So awesome! Congratulations on such a wonderful accomplishment. I hope you'll write more posts about your teaching experiences.

Jenn Casey said...

Thanks, Katie!

I do want to write about the actual experience, and challenges. I'm slowly trying to work blogging back into my life because I have missed it so much. :D