Friday, July 26, 2013

Because I Miss Blogging So Much. . .

. . . and because I just realized that I am tending to post blog-posty things as Facebook status updates, I am going to post this Thought of the Moment here first instead.

Thought of the Moment:

So many of the things I am passionate about have something in common with each other: misconceptions.

There are so many misconceptions about Objectivism and Ayn Rand--too many to count. And almost as many about CrossFit and exercise for kids. Add in the myriad misconceptions about non-punitive parenting and Positive Discipline. Not to mention homeschooling. And paleo/primal eating. I'm sure there are a few other areas I'm forgetting. Shoes (such as barefoot shoes!) and ships and sealing wax, etc.

I used to feel overwhelmed, like I singlehandedly had to straighten out these misconceptions. I realized I don't feel that way any more. Old age/wisdom? Maybe.

Mostly, though, I think it's because the way I counter the misconceptions best is by living what I think, acting according to my principles and best judgment, and putting my money where my mouth is. I really, really, really try to do that. And over time, I think I make my impression, and whether or not anyone's mind is ever changed, it doesn't matter at all, because I am happy doing what I like best and think is right.

And I find this to be a very peaceful state of being. And acting.

1 comment:

Happy Elf Mom said...

Oh wow, Jenn. I find myself mellowing a bit, too. It doesn't mean I've changed my opinions. Glad I'm not alone. :)

PS How is living in your new place working out? I haven't seen updates in forever.